What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracenia....need help

Hello all,

Im looking to get rid of my problem with wasp's that i have on my front porch and was informed that maybe a Sarracenia would help to cause some fear in the wasps.

Im new to CP's and im looking for the best plant for a newbie that will eat those damn wasp's.

No matter how many times i spray the area and stomp on the survivors , they keep coming back......its like my porch is the spawning area of every wasp in the chicago area.

Any advise would be helpful

It won't just eat them, but it will attract them and additional wasps/insects,and it's not a practical solution.

I like Flava. It's big, robust, and eats more than any of my other sarracenia.

To be honest, only Ants came into my pitchers besides wasps. My constant killing of them and my plants catching them have made me notice a severe depression in their numbers. So, a Sarra may work for you.

Any large one will work. A large S. flava, S. leucophylla (plus it's beautiful! I recommend the titan variety if you can find to put it somewhere where it can conveniently catch wasps while maintaining it's large size and won't get knocked over/damaged).

Keep in mind that leuco's produce their biggest and best pitchers in the fall, when wasps aren't as abundant. So that wouldn't "efficient" I guess you could say.

You can buy or make your own wasp traps. This site show you how to make one from a plastic soda pop bottle. I'd improve it by making a cone out of fiberglass screen material or a thick plastic bag and hot glue it to the bottle top so when assembled the cone points to the bottom of the bottle. The opening on the cone/funnel maybe about the diameter of a pencil. You should be able to find traps anywhere that sells hornet/wasp spray.

I don't know if these would be more or less effective than a bunch of Sarracenia, certainly not a pleasant looking. You could always augment the Sarracenia with traps in other locations.

I would locate as many nests as I could, spray them, then setup traps and Sarracenia. Any survivors or new outsiders would hopefully get sucked up before establishing a nest.

It won't just eat them, but it will attract them and additional wasps/insects,and it's not a practical solution

Well, it will eat them in the sense that the majority of wasps that land on the plant will become prey. But it won't eliminate the entire wasp population.

A big sarracenia would be best - so S. flava really. S. alata, S. minor and S. leucophylla would also chomp a few.

I think number's suggestion is a good one. I've heard stories about how wasps get all clogged up in the traps over the course of a summer.

xvart.

Actually, Sarrs do an excellent job here in Oregon :) . No more at our barbicues

Oh, and welcome to the forums!

xvart.

Back