What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

flowering ceph

I will snip it, but wanted to post a pic first

cephflower.jpg

Av

Cool!

If there are multiple I think you should save it...ceph seedlings are amazing :)

my setup cannot support them, at least I don't think it can... I've always read that their flowers get very tall, as high as 30-60cm IIRC. I use fluorescent lamps so that wont work without some type of dedicated setup

my only option would be to move them outside for the summer, and I tried that a few years ago with disastrous results... too hot, too dry, too many critters... so I'm a little gun shy of that

Av

I wouldn't take any chances either if they get that tall.. unless you have a section of your shelf that has higher lights. I don't think cephs appreciate it when we take chances. :p

my setup cannot support them, at least I don't think it can... I've always read that their flowers get very tall, as high as 30-60cm IIRC. I use fluorescent lamps so that wont work without some type of dedicated setup

my only option would be to move them outside for the summer, and I tried that a few years ago with disastrous results... too hot, too dry, too many critters... so I'm a little gun shy of that

Av

option #2-send them to me! I have room!

Nice plant-mine is a barely visable seedling so I've got a little while to go.

Cool Butch, nice pic (as usual) of a real healthy lookin plant!!
Mine's not quite big enough yet to flower, but the guy I got it from has a windowsill Ceph that is flowering right now too- I find it fascinating how despite the distance between our locations, the plants "know" what time it is.

Quick question- are the flowers self-fertile?? I am thinking my buddy will let it grow out, and if it would make seeds that would be an extra bonus, I'd figure :D (he has LOTS of others, so even if it sets the plant back a bit, he's not out a Genus)

Carl,

thanks, and I don't know for sure if they will self or not...I'm thinking so, but I cant remember where I get that from.... I personally haven't tried it

Ive got two stalks, I'm going to clip and dip em in rootone and plant them outside in the mini bog, heck why not, nuttin to lose, Ive already got some seeds in a tray

Av

Ah, cool, the flower is hairy also!

*snipped*.... :cry:

since they were ozzies, I played "last post" instead of "taps"

Av

Back