What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

my first Heliamphoras

I'm really into heli's at the moment, I've had these a few weeks and I'm very pleased with their progress

My Tequila has grown a few centimeters and has a newly opened pitcher!
helitequila.jpg

and the pulchella seems to be growing nicely as well,
helipulchella.jpg

any guidance is greatly appreciated :)
Av

AV I can't give you any guidance but that is a very nice plant you have there.. Love the red,

Those helis are looking good! I would keep doing what you have been doing.

Have you added any rainwater into the pitchers?

Hey Dave :hail:

yes... well RO water, I make sure they always have some in them, and Ive wiped them down with a weak solution of orchid food a time or two. I've also added a dried blood worm or two

but I haven't added anything other then RO to the new pitcher... wanted to verify it was safe for the older pitchers first

they have really "pinked" up

happy happy joy joy :)

hey have you tasted the pappy yet?

and thanks again Dave (and Jeff) :)

Av

Not yet, but I will at some point this year. :)
Thanks for the trade.

you're welcome

Id quot circumiret, circumveniat

(what goes around, comes around)

:)

Cool. I hope it does well for you.

thanks Chris36, Jlap... this is all new terrain for me

Not a lot of how-to info out there, and a lot of conflicting info in what you do find...basically treating them like cephs only wetter

cool and bright

when it comes time, transplanting them will be stressful LOL.... everything I have read has said they break extremely easily.... think I want to try a cypress based media, but not really sure of that either, the ceph mix I use works awfully well for me LOL

Av

I transplanted some over the wintertime. And ripped apart the rhizomes like I would with Flytraps to divide them.
Didn't seem to set em back much either cause the forming pitchers continued to grow and open. All the divisions were looking good too.
Now they're all still doing quite good so I wouldn't worry about the transplantation process er anythung..

very nice! my helis are doing good also. just recently i put them on my shelf...hoepfully they will be ok and continue to grow.
Alex

I should be getting my first H. Minor any day now. It's going in my highland nep grow chamber. You are right though, there is not a lot of info that I could find on these. But from what I did find is that they like it 70's in the day with a nice drop at night, very bright light, and good air circulation. Sounds like they like ultra highland conditions.

Wow, I love the colors!

so far mine have been sitting on the shelf with everything else, 65-68f, 40-60RH and misted a couple times a day...

glider, quogue, may I ask what media you used?

JMurphy, Clint, back in the early days of the ICPS newsletter there were a couple articles on growing helis for beginners, I think one of them was a "beginner's corner" feature article

and wistuba has a couple good papers floating around, it will be nice to get the CDROM this summer :), it's hard to search through pdf files with dialup LOL

heli link

I'd like to see a return of "Beginner's Corner" :)

heli link #2

heli link #3

Av

What kind of light are you giving them?
They look great!
JMatt

Jeff,

I use the 4ft Wal-Mart fluorescent fixtures lined with mylar.

18/6 photoperiod

bulb combination is the Sylvania Tri-Phosphor gro-lux (non wide spectrum) and GE Chroma 50

distance to bulb is about 6"

Av

glider, quogue, may I ask what media you used?

I use a mix of peat/perlite, lava rocks and I think I threw some sand & lfs in there too. I forget. I did make the mix loose though and I grow it with a plastic bag over it for humidity. Seems to be happy, I'll take some pics in a couple weeks.
I did hear from EP, who made the 'Tequilla' cross, not to use peat. I had just repotted and didn't want to repot again, so I stuck it out. Plant looks good, nice-lookin traps, ain't so big though.
I gotta lotta babies from rippin it up, they're all doin well too.

Back