What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

can these two Sarrs be salvaged?

Fryster

--Freedom Czar--
I acquired these to very stunted and weak Sarrs at a great discount from a local Lowe's.

I thought, "What the heck, maybe I can get them to perk up and survive." So I grabbed 'em up.

redpitcher01.jpg

Lowe's calls 'em "Red Pitcher Plants" on the cruel plastic coffins they come in, but I don't know what species they actually are...

Anyway, I repotted them and trimmed away dead leaves:

redpitcher02.jpg

Having little experience with Sarrs; I want to know if I should just go ahead and trim off ALL the twisted and scraggily leaves on these two plants and hope that healthy and straight pitchers come up next?

Besides water and light, is there anything else I need to do right now to help these poor little fellas??

Thanks,

lots of water and wait, I'd guess. Let it keep what leaves it has so it can still photosynthesize. Other than that wait it out. When it finally comes back around it will put out new leaves on its own

They will come back. I did the same thing a while back. They look pretty funky for a while, possibly the whole season, but once you get new growth it will start "normalizing."

xvart.

In theory they provide photosynthesis

Just get them into full sun and keep them well watered and they'll do fine.

You should see the ones I bought on New Year's eve from Lowe's - two in one 3 inch pot actually. Green, 2.5-4 inch tall leaves with mold on top, thinner than a pencil. I cleaned the mold off with 50% rubbing alcohol, acclimated them for about a week by slowing lifting the dome and under lights, then to the windowsill for about 3 weeks until it warmed up. Then outside. Repotted after about 3 weeks outside.

Some of the new pitchers are 6 - 6.5 inches tall, good color - at least a dozen pitchers in various states of growth.

See this thread

In fact I think I'll go out right now and take a couple pictures before the light goes and provided the wind has died down.

BTW is there any indication as to the nursery or distributor is of the cubes on the label?

Looks like Botanical Wonders. They're generally the Lowes suppliers.

Botanical Wonders. its S. rubra. my wrigleyana looked like then when i got it. i put it out in sun and it perked up in a few weeks.
Alex

They'll be fine, they're just starved of sun. Give them lots of light, but gradually acclimatise them so they're in full sun in a couple of weeks.

It looks like "Botanical Wonders" might be a brand or product line name. So far I haven't been able to turn up a nursery or business under that name from internet or yellow pages. I've turned up "Hanover Botanicals" as a nursery in at least two cities, which has been mentioned as a name on some of these warehouse wonders. Maybe "Botanical Wonders" = "Hanover Botanicals"?

One of my side project is to track down the nurseries that actually propagate these CPs. And have them label the species/cultivar/hybrid as accurately as possible. Or at least finding out what they produce to make life easier in identifying them.

Yes. The box says Botanical Wonders.

I couldn't find them online either.

Okay. I'll leave the two sickly children as they are. Lottsa light and water will be their diet for now.

I hope to grow them healthy and attractive to give them away as gifts to co-workers and family members. I'm trying to get others around be interested in CP's too. :)

Thanks for the advice all!!

and since its S. rubra, its going to divide like crazy!

As long as the rhizome is fine ur good. Don't cut off anything green on the Sarr.

Well thanks to sleuthing by Av8tor1 it looks like "Botanical Wonders" come from CIP (or C.I.P.) Nursery located in Surrey County, North Carolina (I haven't found a listing yet).

It seems like the owner was busted in 1999 for trying to sell illegally wild collected VFTs one shipment of 9,000 and another of 5,000 to a Dutch nursery owner. Details can be read here. Brief here. It looks like the Dutch owner did the collecting or paid poachers to collect.

Have any of you North Carolina members heard of CIP Nursery?

Here's an update on my Lowe's rescue Rubras..........

S_rubras.jpg

They're gettin' some color to 'em from the florescent lights. Eventually I'd like to put them outdoors to get some real sunlight. Just trying to harden them up a bit first. :)

The main thing to worry about is sunburn, which is what Alexis was getting at. Put them near a window or outside where you can control the hours of direct sunlight they get and increase the amount every few days for a couple weeks by moving the plants or shade cover. If you notice any burn back off a bit. Start out with a couple hours or so.

Even if the plants burn a bit it shouldn't kill them unless you let them dry out. It'll slow their growth down a bit though.

It seems like the owner was busted in 1999 for trying to sell illegally wild collected VFTs one shipment of 9,000 and another of 5,000 to a Dutch nursery owner. Details can be read here. Brief here. It looks like the Dutch owner did the collecting or paid poachers to collect.

VERY interesting. I suppose that enters a new element in to the equation for when you see those poor plants and think "why not?" That's a pretty darn good reason why not to buy 'em! There's plently of good vendors out there with clean track records.

Here’s an update:

The two S.rubras from Lowe’s cubes’o death is doing quite nicely.
thumbs_up.gif

I grown ‘em outdoors all summer and they have captured their own prey and are still reaching for the sky.

healthySrubras.jpg

Wow! Impressive rubra. I've never seen a store sell discount cps before, but I hear about them all the time on these forums.

I guess in the same thread I can show a rescue as well. It was from sheridan nursaries in canada. I got it the FIRST DAY a new shipment came in. SO it was in comparitively perfect shape.

sarr1ml4.jpg

By vraev at 2007-05-17

Now this is how it looks. :

1493893556_a3d002f40a_o.jpg

ALWAYS DROOLING with nectar. This nectar is soooooo freaking STICKY. The pitchers darken as they get older. I haven't cut any of the pitchers yet...so even the old pitchers since I got on the plant are there.

Back