What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How far along are your Sarrs?

I have seen beautiful pictures of Sarr flowers and pitchers on this board for sometime. Spring seems to be coming slower than normal in New Jersey. My very first flowers have just opened, and I still have a lot of buds that are very small. I also only have the first pitcher open. Middle of May, and not too much too see yet. Still, it will be very soon. Are others this far behind??

I am just now getting the first pitchers of the spring. The great freeze of 07 was a real setback.

first S. minor pitcher to open in a few days. that will be the first pitcher of the year. S. leuco red has a bunch of those dinky pitchers...
Alex

Lucky, at least youre gonna have flowers. All my flowers got nipped by
The great freeze of 07
. My S. x catsbei will be the first in a day or so.

I personally, have no pitchers, yet, but all my plants are working on it, and I have two buds. No, I don't think you are "behind", unless we all are. Winter, who needs it???

No (real) leaves, no buds, no nothin' on my end.

It's all crap Crap CRAP!

Sarrs hate me and it's beginning to be mutual.

Actually, no.. I hate winter for being so damn cold!

However... this winter I shall win the battle. >: (

Mine have about 4 inch long flower buds and 6 inch long pitchers

I'm enjoying my oh... 4 week period of sun. After that the summer weather turns to foggy BS. Good ol' Northern Cali coast. lol!

Things have been pretty warm here for a while so my early flowers have all been fertilized and dropped their petals. The majority of my flowers still have petals but will soon be expended. Pitcher production is varying between individuals, but I've already got some good sized pitchers from a few plants.

Note: I grow outside, full sun all day. These numbers aren't "tainted" by the presence of a greenhouse or anything. :p

Flowers are all pollinated and swelling up. Pitchers have been going up since April. All except S. x 'Dana's Delight' and S. 'Dixie Lace'.

I looked at the 'Dixie Lace', peeling off the top dressing of LFS (green and slimey) - crowns were covered with carpet moss. Peeled that off and other than two undeveloping pitcher leaves per the two growing points nothing. A couple days later new leaf shoots!

'Dana's Delight' pot was getting taken over by wood sorrel (shamrock). I had left it there for Saint Patrick's Day and then they were starting to flower and I wanted to see the flowers. I finally pulled them out. The first came out with a handful of soil, about the size of my fist. The second had roots around the Sarracenia rhizome and the rhizome pulled out along with the shamrock roots. Talk about extensive rooting. After the 'Dana's Delight' flowered it put up one undeveloping pitcher leaf. Now I know why it has been so slow.

I probably can't give much comparison, since I just started growing CPs right after the freeze .. but from what I understand, my plants were grown outside before I got them (with the exception of just a couple of lowes plants). Just yesterday, I had a nice leuco pitcher open - rubricorpora flowered and pitchered and seemed unaffected by the frost. Here's mine two days ago:

bog.jpg

I'm up near Niagara Falls, Ontario (in Canada :D)
I should likely have open flowers sometime today, and pitchers are looking to be about a week away from opening, but there's lots of them well past the 6" mark and they grow quite a bit every day lately :D
Only a few species are not really doing much and I think at least one of those is dead :)

Either way, for NJ it sounds like you're about as far along as you could hope at this time so don't lose faith ;)

Not a bad start to the season...

My Sarrs have all flowered. I lost a couple of flowers to the late freeze and had some damaged leaves. All recovered nicely. Judith Hindle and Catesbei each had about a dozen flowers. Rubras had about 6 each. Leucos took the biggest hit from the freeze. Most of my flowers are already starting to fade, dropping petals and such.

Adult pitchers are growing right along. Flava started strong. Hindle and Catesbei are right behind. I am very happy how everything recovered.

Now if we can just survive the great drought of '07.

Now if we can just survive the great drought of '07.
already trying to deal with that. this is going to be harder than the freeze because i just moved my plants into the garage to combat that (not until after the hit though...) ive already gone through 3 gallons of water in just a few days...
Alex

My Sarras are sitting on my deck and getting lots of sunlight. My Darlingtonia seems to be doing well too. The plants are developing fast, but, it appears they are all too young to flower. Pity. My only plant that was in my care for dormancy and made no growth for awhile was S. Judith Hindle, my first Sarracenia, but, all of a sudden about 15-20 pitchers came out of the rhizome and started forming (a few have opened, the first two and the tallest were deformed, sad). I'm excited waiting for my S. leucophylla 'titan' to open a Spring pitcher I've been anticipating for a few weeks. Maybe another week or two and it'll be done.

yay! my minor (#1) opened its first pitcher last night! a unch more are coming from clone #1(my clone 1) clone #2 has yet to do much of anything :) and on my S. leuco red x okee giat (excellens) i have noticed 2 new growth points. i thought it was a gonner when a bird attacked the main growth point and it started to rot :(

Great freeze of '07? I don't remember Atlanta being that cold... I did go to Germany twice this spring, maybe it was during that.

Anyway, all my plants have pitchered by now, flowering is still going on.

In anycase, when I got back from Germany this last time I came home to a croaked Judith Hindle and some of my rubra had rotted - the part of the rhizome that flowered!!! Maybe that was it?

Good to hear things are "normal". In the past week, a lot more flowers, and a few more pitchers have opened. Got to get some more photos soon!

Back