What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pest ID Help

CPsinSC

Ryan + Sara
pest.jpg

My first pest :(

Sorry for the bad pic (bad camera).. you can see the pest the best on the pitcher to the left.

I have some ortho, but I read that it's not for all kinds of pests. Is this a pest it will control or do I need to get something else?

Thanks for the help

It's hard to tell from the photo. I'm inclined to say "big-a**ed aphids" or spittle bugs. I'd just take the garden hose to them or a spray bottle and swoosh them away and then flush with RO water.

I second that sentiment.

Looks like aphids. They squish easily.

Unless you can fit the plant into a plastic container, full submerged in water, to drown them, I think you may need to go the pesticide route.

Unless you can fit the plant into a plastic container, full submerged in water, to drown them, I think you may need to go the pesticide route.

Sevin, Maliathon, or Orthene are all excellent. I use which ever one I come to first, but I have to be careful because the Round-up is right next to them. Round-up = BAD

That looks like a sarracenia. Be careful with those. I badly burned my sarracenia once spraying with insective. They're very sensitive. I was trying to eradicate mealy bugs

Yea, I can't go the drowning route .. it's on this sarr and a few others in my outdoor bog.
I took the ortho route and then rinsed/top water real good about 12 hours later.

One of my less important sarrs really took a beating from the pests (60% of it is wilted) .. Will this end up dying or coming back? Only thing I really like about it is it's growth .. had about 7 growth points going :(

Luckily, they didn't seem to like my expensive bog sarrs, lol :)

Your plant should come back, but the new pitchers will also be ravaged unless you can eliminate the aphids.

Some pesticides harm sarracenia, but Sevin, Maliathon, or Orthene are proven. I use ones containing pyrethrins.

When using pesticides on CPs try to use the powdered forms to mix in water. Premixed pesticides can have other ingredients that can harm your plants. Aerosol cans in particular should be avoided.

Always use the recommended amounts. Test on one plant before applying to all your plants if the effects of a particular product are unknown.

Your plant should come back, but the new pitchers will also be ravaged unless you can eliminate the aphids.

Some pesticides harm sarracenia, but Sevin, Maliathon, or Orthene are proven. I use ones containing pyrethrins.

Speaking of Pyrethrum, as a preventative,would it be effective to plant Chrysanthemums amongst the CP's? Also, would Marigolds be helpful? Not that Marigolds have Pythrethrum, but some gardeners plant them because their odor is a natural repellant.

It IS hard to tell from the pics, but, based on your location and the fact that you are only mentioning Sarrs, it could be thrips as well....all of the suggested pest sprays should still work, though...

Back