What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cepholotus follicularis

I got this plant last year as I heard so much about it. I did not realize how small they are though.
a week ago, after I had repotted, it seemed like overnight, the many little pink pitchers disappeared and where replace by two much bigger green pitchers.
Has this happened to anyone? anyway to get more pitchers to come out?

Well, Hummer's Giant's get "big" but I guess you could call those small compared to other things, too lol. It will get bigger in time.

I've never heard of the juvenile pitchers disappearing overnight with no trace, but usually they throw out a fatty or two like that and it means more are to come!

I brought an immature plant out of probably 90% humidity into a MUCH more dry environment recently- I think it probably had 30 "immature" type pitches on it, and they ALL died of within a week or so, but now the thing is really looking good- the space that held the tiny pitchers is filled by 5 or 6 GIANT (well, giant for a typical Ceph) ones.

Sounds like your plant is doing exactly what it should be doing

Good Growing!

How long did it take for new growth after the initial mass die off? My hummers has been stoning for a month with 4 dried up black stubs that used to be growing points. No leaves left.

Perhaps the change in conditions led to a reaction. Take it from someone who "tweaks" conditions and combines pots and moves them around... a lot of times it's just a better idea to get it where you think it will do its best and approximate what what it's coming from, and just letting them be for a few weeks.

My experience has led to some oddities. If I had to award Cephalotus something, it'd be the "Randomness Award", one minute it pumps out some big pitchers, then a tiny one, then continues to put out large ones, then stops altogether, then it either keeps growing or dies.

It's a really odd plant, but a really nice one.

Yes, it does put out larger pitchers randomly. To get it to grow faster is a simple thing to do, but there is no vast improvement. Simply feed it a little bit! That'll give it a boost. But it still does grow on the slow side.

I'm having fairly easy time cultivating it so far, I've had harder times cultivating Butterworts! But, I'm just one that can seem to grow a lot of the harder varieties easily. Just not Nepenthes or Heliamphora >.<. Ah, well.

Lol, and how long have you been growing this genus?

I have no idea on the exact date, a few months I'm sure though. But, so far so good!

My luck is always due to change though.

I have had all of the experience with it I posted above though, I assure you.

Back