What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Strange problem. HELP!

glider14

Always a newbie
alright. i didnt want to talk about this before i knew it was a serious problem... 3 of my sarrs have been affected but an odd disease.... these are the only 3. 'Dixie Lace' 'Judith Hindle' (both now dead) and S. leuco 'red' x 'okee giant' (excellens). the first 2 i had over winter. the latter i got recently.

First off, 'Dixie Lace'. this was a multi-crown mature sarracenia. only 2 of the 6 points were green and living when spring came around. these 2 point got to the first new leaf...halted growth and died off...for good.

Next, 'Judith Hindle'. i got this plant form an online nursery at the beginning of last december when it was actually warm. it went through dormancy fine. it woke up with my other plants fine. main growth point woke up... then only made a gimpy waking up leaf. it stopped. it made 2 off shootsthey started growing and were green. one on one side the other on the other side. a week afer they both stopped and a whole half side of the plant turned brown. the other side made another off shoot then the both halted and within a few hours... turned brown and it died. i woke up this morning. it was fine and green. i got home at noon and it was brown and was dead.

Lastly, S. x excellens. this plant came in the spring. wide awake. it kept growing...at a 1 inch pitcher so far turned black...and rotted. 3 more off shoots. 1 rotted over the weekend. i still have 2 left.

what the heck is going one with my plants!?!? what can i do to stop it! i dont want it to happen to ANY of my other ones.
Alex

PS. before you ask. yes they were dead. sweet potato color on the inside of each growth point...

Have you re-potted any of these plants recently?
Ferts in the soil mix?

i re-potted them at the first sign of growth...back in mid april. no fertilizers. however also back in mid april. i had no water and my plants were getting dry. i sprayed the mini bog with a bit of tap water and i flushed out with nearly 6 gallons of RO water the next day. our water is only ~140 ppm so its not that bad. i dont use it on a regular basis... the peat i used comes from one of those big bales. no fertilizers visible...
Alex

What're your water levels like? Prolonged flooding, especially after the water becomes stagnant can lead to rhizome rot.

How did the roots look on the dead or dying ones? Do the leaves become "floppy" and droop before the plant dies?

the only one that has made a "real" leaf is excellens. its just turned black. no flop.

water. its stays wet. but its never flooded. roots on both the dead ones were brown...same color as the rhizome.

maybe some kind of fungus attack?

I know that I have had a rhizome fungus attack that makes the leaves all floppy and then the whole rhizome rots overnight.

This might have happened to you before any real leaves appeared, and the spores might have spread all over the place.

Where are you growing them?

Tissue cultured sarracenia die off at the drop of a hat. It's a blessing and a curse to have nice looking plants widespread, but having to be on pins every spring to see if they've made it through winter.

outside. thy get 14-16 hours of direct sun each day. the plants i got had been growing for several years (not in vitro) with winters. maby its a random thing...i dont really know.
Alex

Back