What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Some Sarr Questions

So far everything is going well in my collection, except for a couple of minor anomolies.

First, both my S. luecophylla and S. moorie have somewhat of a chalky ashy looking sheen to their pitchers. Is that normal? Is it some type of fungus infection?
And my S. leucophylla, S. moorie, and S. rubra ssp. gulfensis seem to be making phyllia. Is that normal?

thanks a bunch!

my leucos both have made a chalky substance. its gone now though. just wait on the phyllodia stuff. they could just be pitchers that havent started inflating.
Alex

but these things are taller than the first crop of pitchers and have no sign of a hood or tube

oh. my leco red has 3 of those pitchers. im guessing its normal
Alex

It means they're new fresh pitchers, right? ^_^

well mine are thin lance-shaped leaves that have no real pitcher structure

My Dana's Delight does that. Sometimes they curl around themselves. Dave, I'm sure you are giving them plenty of light. I, personally have never had a chalky ash sheen on my pitchers. But I am pretty sure it's normal to make phyllodia, even in the beginning of the growing season. Leucos like to make good pitchers in July and August, not May and June. Before someone argues with that, I know that there are growers out there with PERFECT pitchers in May and June.... I'm just saying, this is the experience I have had with mine.

And my S. leucophylla, S. moorie, and S. rubra ssp. gulfensis seem to be making phyllia. Is that normal?
Phyllodia are normal for S. leucophylla after their their spring pitchers (& some don't pitcher hardly at all in spring). Their best pitchers are in the late summer/fall. S. rubra group normally keep pitchering all season but the fall pitchers can be outstanding. S. oreophila usually throw up a big flush of pitchers in the spring then settle in for a hot dry summer w/ small curved phyllodia. Some may show a weaker 2nd flush later in the year, some not. S. flava are strongest in the spring and slow down all summer and end w/ long, usually-straight phyllodia before winter.

Back