What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question 'bout interesting "behavior"

Last year, the first pitchers that my purp made were sorta of tall, skinnyish and had a wide wing/midrib. I thought this was due to lack of sunlight, so I moved it to a more direct position. Then the plant produced much more normal pitchers, which were squat, had larger ruffly things (I'm tired and don't know the words right now) and the midribs were much thinner.

But this year, once again, the plant is making those skinny pitchers, despite the fact that it also made those squat pitchers in the exact same position.

DSCN3792.jpg

Errg, I don't get it.

Does it have different quality of pitchers during different times, like S. leucophylla? I know the plant is still happy, considering it flowered, but I just wanna know what's up.

Heh, it caught something.

DSCN3790.jpg

-Ben

Mine do the same, I think it's just because they are early pitchers. My first few pitchers had big ribs and were deformed. I think the deformation came from some late frosts though.

yeah, maybe they make those because of the lower light levels that we have in the early spring.

Mine do the same, I think it's just because they are early pitchers. My first few pitchers had big ribs and were deformed. I think the deformation came from some late frosts though.

Agreed.

It's fairly normal for the first couple of pitchers of the year to be skinny with large alas, especially with var. burkii.

Oh, ok. I didn't know that. :blush:

Thanks for the answers.

-Ben

Back