What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Yellow Pitcher with a houseguest

Fryster

--Freedom Czar--
After bringing my young Sarrs inside today I noticed the tiniest of hitchhikers in/on my S. flava:

S_flavaandspider01.jpg

S_flavaandspider02.jpg

S_flavaandspider03.jpg

Now, as much as I HATE spiders, I'm gonna let this guy live. But if I catch him (her?) outside of the grow-rack........ :nono: Smash-City

Can any bug-expert identify the species? ???

I can't identify spyders but I kill things like that on my flavas - their webs make the pitcher not able to catch as much.

Kill
Kill
Kill

Hmmm...

Hadn't thought of that... Good point.

May have to kick it outta there........

that looks like rubra to me...not flava. is it young?

I'd say leave it there. This happens in nature all the time and will provide some great photo ops. Besides the spider might get careless or get knocked in by a large insect - more photo ops.

I'd say leave it there. This happens in nature all the time and will provide some great photo ops. Besides the spider might get careless or get knocked in by a large insect - more photo ops.

Hmmm............

Another good thought.

This morning the little spider was hiding down inside the pitcher. Waiting for the sun perhaps?

***I'm pretty sure it's a Flava. That's what the tag says... I got it from a famous nursery out there in California. ;) It's still pretty small...

lol! its interesting. But I guess I don't have arachnophobia. I was outside yesterday and waiting for a ride and sat on a concrete wall. Suddenly,...I felt something on my neck...I pulled it with my hand, inbetween my fingers and threw it on myleg: a spider. It was soo interesting that i actually let it walk on my fingers...then observed it a bit and let it walk back on the wall. :)

lol! I know its OT...but I just felt like telling this story since the "I hate spiders" came up. :p

I used to have a six legged spider that lived inside a dried out 'ladies in waiting pitcher'
...your spider looks kind of like that one kind that lives inside nepenthes...

That's what was/is so odd.......

How does this Michigan spider "know" to pitch a web there at the mouth of a pitcher plant?

Just one of God's amazing 'lil critters I guess..... (but I still hate 'em) :-))

Disappointing thing is that it's gone now. :( But I'm starting to leave my Sarrs outdoors both day & night now. Maybe it will return. ???

Maybe it got et. Peer down into the pitcher or take a bright flashlight at night and backlight the tube.

Here is something to consider as well. When pitchers catch insects and fill up they brown and die leaving you nothing. i have been know to take fine netting and stuff the opening so I can enjoy the beautiful pitchers the entire season. This has no effect on the growth of the plants.

I cannot tell from the photo but there is an indigenious green spider to Sarracenia bogs known as a Lynx spider. They are good at keep bad damaging insects at bay.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=lynx+spider

Pretty sure that she's gone.

It may have been a bit too hot in my growrack. Now the Sarrs pot will be kept outdoors for summer.

But I got another visitor to my "pot 'o Sarrs" however......

An out-of-focus wasp or hornet or whatever...

(stupid auto-focus gets a good shot of the stupid maple tree in background) GRRRR!!

WASP_visit.jpg

I realize this is dull and old-hat to you veteran CP growers but it's still new to me and rather exciting. That wasp never ventured into the pitcher though, the little drone just licked up some nectar and flew off. :( It was fun to watch what almost happened though. Those amazing pitcher plants have GREAT patience don't they? ;)

They catch stuff when you're not around. It's just like Santa Claus. You're not allowed to see the presents get put there. :jester:

Good analogy Cobain,

We rarely get to witness the "murders"........:-))

Just to go on that, I DID get to witness it today. This poor fly was done in less than a minute. here is a chronological witness to the events that took place on July 1, 2007.

The fly arrives:

Alata001.jpg

The fly is quite interested, but visibly loosing his footing:

Alata002.jpg

The fly is going into the tube.... his worst, and last, mistake of his life:

Alata003.jpg

Finally, a picture of the victim in his final resting place:

Alata004.jpg

This should be sufficient evidence to convict my Alata of "murder", but I plead to the court to excuse my child of the crimes committed due to his/her insatiable thirst for blood. He/She should be declared clinically insane due to hunger.

Hey, I really like action shots Cobain.
thumbs_up.gif

Aagh, my eyes!!

Focus! :)

They are focused - but focused on the ground. That's what we're supposed to be looking at; right?

lol thats gonna be a tight fit.

i've shied away from clearing spider webs lately. i dont have arachnophobia (i sleep in an unfinished basement...) but i was clearing some webs out of a purpurea and got bit by a pissed off inhabitant and got a pretty horrific infection where it got me.

*******s can have the pitcher.

Back