What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are these Pitchers easy to grow

pedersonplants

The Obsessive Gardener
Hi:

I'm ready to place an order on ebay for some sarrcs. Are these easy varieties?
CARNIVOROUS PITCHER PLANT Sarracenia Tarnok Tall - (SP)
CARNIVOROUS PITCHER PLANT Sarracenia Scarlet Belle (SP)
CARNIVOROUS PITCHER PLANT Sarracenia rubra ----- (SP)
CARNIVOROUS PITCHER PLANT Sarracenia purpurea (SP)
CARNIVOROUS PITCHER PLANT Sarracenia Judith Hindle (SP)

She has lots of other cps too. Charges just $6.99 to ship 4 potted plants and 50 cents for each extra pot.

I bought some 3 years ago and lost them all their 2nd summer because of my own health problems.

I would Not buy from ebay but sarracenia in general are easy.
I would score somethig from the auction.

I am watching the auction prices. Most are beyond my pocketbook. I'll splurge up to 4.99 pot for a 3" potted plant.

It's usually unwise to buy from eBay. Don't do it. Hundreds of better sources. But, yes, they are fairly easy.

Didn't you sell plants on ebay, NeciFiX?

I don't see how that comment was necessary at all but no, I haven't, as you know I almost did but sent the money back.

Good job on bringing back something on the past probably in attempt to ridicule me :).

Ridicule you? Please.

I just thought it was pretty funny you'd say it's dumb to.... oh wait, you edited what you originally said. Nevermind :)

I edited it just as you posted because I felt it was a little harsh, and I've bought from the seller in question and was less than impressed, okay?

You win, I'm a bad guy. There.

There are quite a few reputable CP sources on eBay. As alway with any sales caveat emptor.

Almost all Sarracenia are relatively easy to grow as CPs go. 'Tarnok' is a S. leucophylla is a sterile mutant with strange flowers. Otherwise it is a leucophylla so if the plant is mature enough you should get the magnificent fall pitcher growth. If the purpurea is ssp. purpurea you can probably keep it outdoors in the winter. Ask.

Oh no Sam, you aren't a bad guy. I like you just the way you are :)

Now I had better stop chit chatting before I get in trouble with Dandy.

Well, we were over that, everyone said sorry (well, just me, everyone else just accepted it) and I don't like remembering it, it was a God Awful experience.

So sorry for getting mad at you JLAP, yes, I'm done chit chatting.

It's OK.

Diana! All Sarracenia are pretty easy to grow AND hardy if you respect their dormancy requirement and give them enough light! Sarracenia love LIGHT! True sun worshipers! They are so easy that I really suggest buying them bare root to save a little cash. That way you can also make your own mix to suit your needs. Places like Wal Mart or Home Depot/Lowes are great places to get a few common CP's, if you can get them before they start to etoliate.

There's nothing wrong with buying plants off of eBay, just watch out because a lot of people way overprice them.

I have seen some VERY reputable growers sell on ebay. And yes, I occasionally sell there and buy every now and then. Haven't had any problems yet. So I don't really see anything wrong with it ??? .

Are the sarrcs mentioned above really being tissue cultured? When I bought 3 years ago, the plants were wonderful. Would probably still have them if I hadn't gone through knee reconstruction and was unable to attend them properly outside last summer. None survived the summer.

I've asked where these plants came from in the past and was told tissue culture. I didn't realize cps were now in tissue culture too.

Almost everything is in TC, be it seed or meristem, particularly all of those common ones and cultivars you listed. Cultivars can only be cloned so TC is a fast way to mass produce them.

I didn't realize how far tissue culture has expanded since I bought tissued cultured hostas about 15 years ago! This miracle should help keep common plants available without people thinking they have to try to collect from private property or (illegally of course) from the wild.

I'm going through CPS of North America book right now identifying all those hardy to Michigan. Would love to collect those before buying a lot of other species that require year-round care inside.

I do love my pitcher plants though.....and won't be able to resist the urge to buy a few much longer. Am watching a group on the auction.

Back