What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Michigan Pitcher Plants

So I was wandering around in a wooded area out behind my work during lunch one day and stumbled across a pitcher plant that I have no idea what is. I know purpurea purpurea live in Michigan but this plant does not look at all like one. I'm going to try and get some pictures of them (It's about a one acre lot full of them and a bunch of other plants and trees) if I ever remember to take my camara to work.

But the question is does anyone know what type of pitchers live in Lower Michigan?

A small description of what they look like
They're a lite green almost yellow color.
They had 3 large leaves and only one pitcher per plant that I saw.

In the woods?
Most likely you were seeing 'Jack-in-the-Pulpit" (Arisaema triphyllum), the flower spathe is sometimes confused with a pitcher. It also has 3 leaves on each leaflet. Sarracenia purpurea grows in Michigan, but I believe you saw the former plant.

Ok thank you

That is what it was.

I meant to say "3 leaflets on each leaf" above.
ANYWAY, still a really neat plant!! I grow these in my garden, and the spathe color, size, etc. is very variable from plant to plant. There are also a number of Asian species of Arisaema being introduced to the gardening world in recent years. There is a good book on Arisaema by Guy Guzman, worth looking at.

Woodnative is correct. There are no other Sarracenia that grow in the wild in Michigan. Unless, of course, someone introduced it there.

Thank you for the good info. Since I know they're not endangered now, I may have to go dig a couple up =)

Back