What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dark spots on flava...

rockstarcobain

Sarracenia in another life....
Okay, I don't know if this is a disease, rot, or just indigestion, but it has me worried. There is a really big bee right where this spot is, but this pitcher is only a week old.

Truncatadeformed004.jpg

i dunno if im looking at the right thing...the BIG splotch? or the little speck on the same pitcher? cant tell where the sun is coming from... but its either a silhouette of the bee or "indigestion".
Alex

the sun isn't out, so you're not seeing a silhoutte. That's the dark spot I'm talking about. If it's indigestion, isn't that going to ruin this pitcher. It's probably the biggest one I'll get out this plant this year, so if so, that sucks.

Which pitcher are you talking about? The one in the middle or the one on the right?

Sarracenia "bruise" like that when damaged. Probably the bee stung the pitcher in it's struggle. Upsetting as it is, it's just nature taking its course and there's nothing you can do about it short of putting your plants in unnatural conditions.

As the song says from Robert Altman's "Brewster McCloud":

"How the bird sing when she is flying.
And how the bee sting when she know she is dying."

Wind and rain have ruined some of the best pitchers on my flava and oreophila. Wind finished off one of the shipment damaged flower stalks on the oreophila. So it goes.

Looks like the regular consequence of pitchers filling up.

alright, as long as it's normal... and not disease... thanks

Sometimes the inside of pitchers turn purple and you can see it from the outside. I don't know why it happens, but the pitcher itself will be fine.

Awesome. that would be so.... um...awesome!!!

my S. flava x purpurea (heaven forbid i cant remember the common name for it...) pitcher is starting to get a bit necrotic. from the outside looking into the pitcher the walls are a beautiful burgundy color...maby burgundy and brownish...
Alex

Back