What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How To Choose The larger Seedlings

Hiya,

Is there anyway to tell if a 2 - 3 year old sarracenia seedling has the potential to be a bigger / more robust plant ?

Apart from the obvious of one being alot bigger of course.

My seedlings are now starting to show signs of difference in the leaves and I would ideally like to keep the best looking plants from each batch. I dont really want to have to keep more than 2 / 3 out of each batch to grow on to look for this trait as I would soon run out of space.

Any help or advice will be greatfully received,

Joel

Hi joel,

Honestly, if you get rid of some of each batch, you will just take a chance. I guess you can keep the ones that are the biggest NOW, but you never really know. Until more like 4-5 years or, you know, close to maturity, I don't think you can really see who's gonna be the "Robert" and who's gonna be the "Raymond". Hehe, sorry for the analogy. Anyway, yea, anybody who is gonna be abnormally big, may show signs of it at 3 years, and definitely any abnormally small ones should. So just take a pick, and send the rest to me. :banana2:

What specific seedlings Joel?

Its a secret lol ... Though it looks like I have one or two that might be abit special :)

Im going to be potting up the better ones up this weekend hopefully. Will post some pictures to see what response they get.

Joel

LOL. Ok, well I'd choose the biggest / whitest / reddest / fattest or freakiest!

Looks like you may like what I have to show :)

Next year will be the real test I think but will be interesting to see how much they change over the year.

Back