What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Odd Sarracenia tear

NeciFiX

Kung Fu Fighting!
Yesterday I noted a S. flava 'copper top' had a large tear in the pitcher and strings of living tissue were hanging off. I concluded it as just an odd happening. When I woke up this morning my S. leucophylla 'hot pink's largest pitcher also had this same exact effect. It is like a quarter inch wide tear that goes quite aways along one side of the pitcher, at least 12 inches down the pitcher from where it started. What could be causing this? Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

~Sam

maybe raccoons or some other wildlife.

Our lights go on outside if anything stepped on the porch and the dogs go NUTS whenever they do, we would have heard something definitely especially since my moms a light sleeper. Plus the tear is on this part of the deck. I don't believe it was wildlife as far as mammals. And if it were a caterpillar I'd be more likely to see holes in random parts not a huge slice.

it's a longshot, but without seeing it, maybe it could be a slug.

We don't have any close bodies of water so I don't think so but who knows! Is there anything that feeds on Sarracenia?

deer, and a pest that only grows in southeastern usa. other than that, I can only guess slugs.

Back