What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mealy bugs on purpurea

A few minutes ago I found a mealy bug in one of my purps. This must be one of the pests that freaks me the most (not the bug itself, just for having it on my plants). Now what? The only "safe" pesticide I found was Provado in spray, if would prefer to find the soil drench but didn't have luck on that. Or the typical drowning?
As this bug is famous to be a b*** hard to get rid of, the drowning probably wouldn't be enough and I'll probably have so spray all the other plants.
Advices?

Don't wait, hit them as soon as possible. Provado (Imidacloprid) is a systemic and is recommended for mealy bugs. I found the cottony nests the females make on the exposed tops of the rhizomes of my S. leucophylla 'Tarnok' five weeks ago. I've been spraying my plants every 7 days with Imidacloprid. Just last Monday I found a couple more mealy bugs on the 'Tarnok', none on any of my other plants. Still spraying although I'm going to every 14 days now.

Good luck.

Job done. Sprayed the plant (and found some scales there too) and all the others sorrounding. Also saw some systemic insecticide named AFICION® wich contains imidaclopride. It's a concentrate 25 g/l or 2,4% (p/p) of ciflutrina and 75 g/l or 7,1% (p/p) of imidaclopride. The chemical family is Piretróide+Cloronicotinil (copied this info from the brand site, in portuguese and I probably did some wrong translations). I didn't buy it because I wasn't sure if it was cp safe, so if it is next time I'll know what to do :wink:

I too have mealy bugs and find that the worst infestations are when they attach the roots. Malithion is fine for Sarracenias. I mix according to directions in a bucket and drop the entire plant in. I make sure there is enough water/mixture to cover the entire pot. I leave it for an hour or so. I cannot vouch for Droseras in the pot but I do know that Malithion will bleach spaghnum out and kill it dead. I find that if you have mealy bugs, you have ants that are farming the mealy bugs. They go hand in hand. There is an ant product that kills 13 species of ants I got at Home Depot (the name escapes me)

The thing I love about Sarracenia is that they like water, so you can just flood the pests out. I used to keep my plants in cut-off storage bins so I could keep the water level above the rhizomes. That kept the ants out. And as long as I kept the ants away, I had no problems with either mealybugs or scale pest.
Peter

Back