What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New plant turning brown on edges

pedersonplants

The Obsessive Gardener
Hi:

My new pitcher plant, S. purpurea ssp. purpurea f. heterophylla, is turning brown on the edges of the pitchers. The back side of them is turning slightly tan.

The pitchers were filled with rain water. It is planted in long fibered sphagnum moss just like Andrew grew it.

I've been worried about the heat generated on a cement porch with brick walls to the townehouse. Might a slightly cooler spot be better?

Why would this plant start turnning brown after only 4 days?

A slightly cooler spot might be worth a shot. Sometimes even being in a different growing environment can cause the old leaves to suffer. New growth should be hardier.

I agree, while my greenhouse is in sun all day long, this plant was grown within other sarrs. So since it is so short, it probably really didn't see much sun (probably only East exposure), or heat. I also never put water in the pitchers.... I know they do in the wild, but I never did.

Sounds like my southeastern corner would be better. I hope it rains soon so I can fill the 4 gallon storage in my self watering trough. All my pitcher plants should like it there.

Thank you for answering.

Unless the location is a really bad choice, I wouldn't move it. Let it acclimate where it is.

I really think leaving this where it was would fry it completely. This SW corner is so brutal I pulled out my perennial garden that needed to be watered twice a day when it was hot.

This area is now strawberry jars filled with semps and sedums. It also has some other succulents being summered outside.

I filled the bed with pea gravel and just keep everything containerized.

My cps have to be containerized too so I can protect them with hardware cloth from Mr. & Mrs. Squirrel and the birds I caught stealing plants yesterday!

My best bet with a most sarracenias is to give them their dormancy in my veggie crisper. I KNOW the squirrels and birds don't get in that in the winter no matter how hungry they may get.

I have a self watering trough from Gardener's Supply that will be used the rest of this summer. Heres the info on it
Specifications at a Glance:
Soil capacity is 40 quarts
Water reservoir holds 4 gallons
Made of UV-stabilized polypropylene
For indoor or outdoor use
26" L x 19" W x 10-1/2" H
Easy assembly; instructions included
Gardener's Supply Exclusive

Since it is above ground so I can reach it, I doubt anything overwintering in it would survive. I could risk it but I really hate losing plants. Have thought of filling the "cage" over the trough with leaves this fall and keeping the reservoir filled too. I just don't know if it would be protected enough to risk losing a special plant.

HOW DO THESE SURVIVE IN BOGS THAT UNDERGO NUMEROUS THAW-FREEZE CYCLES IN A TYPICAL MICHIGAN WINTER? Do the roots just go deeper or what?

HOW DO THESE SURVIVE IN BOGS THAT UNDERGO NUMEROUS THAW-FREEZE CYCLES IN A TYPICAL MICHIGAN WINTER? Do the roots just go deeper or what?

Scottychaos (Rochester area, NY) and Wildbill (somehwere in CT) grow their temperate plants outside, all year long. They just mulch them heavily. That insulates the worst of the winter abuse in the North.

Back