What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracenia Hybrid (Newbie)

Window Sill purp hybrid

You have a beautiful plant and you have done very well with it. It is obvious a tissue cultured plant and it has been my experience that they benefit from being divided. If it is not divided, it will become unhappy and start to go down hill. Bumping it up will work for a while. Besides if you are getting into CPs, it will give you something to trade with. Let me know, I would trade for a piece of that!

Man that plant is fantastic! Nice job!!! Gorgeous!

Aww thanks guys. I'll be looking at repotting it into a larger vessel as soon as I can get to a garden center. So, Spagnum (sp?) peat, sand and maybe perlite? what's you're top tip for potting mix?

I do have a furthur question though, it came up the other night as my man and I were sitting chatting about crap. Come December we're off to NZ for a good 3 weeks. What can we do to minimise the damage done to the plant? I have serious doubts any of them will survive our abscence but alas, we have noone I trust to take care of them or actually you know.. be in my house while i'm not there.
Anyone have any suggestions? It'll be late november we leave, arriving back late december, just before christmas in fact.
Can I do anything? It'll be indoors and hopefully dormant (we'll see how that goes -_-) but i'm concerned about rot and drying out.

Well actually a bit of negligence over the winter would be good for them. Do you have a garage with a window or someplace that gets cool? They'll be going into dormancy anyway and want less light, lower temps, and less water. Maybe a friend can come over and give them a little water every so often; or I suppose you could try and give them a high water level at the beginning and then it will lower and not be high the entire time.

xvart.

No, we have a tiny house. I was thinking of taking it out of the North facing window and putting it intoa south facing one so it doesn't get as much light.. but English winters are pretty dark anyway so I dunno. As for cold, well the heating will only be on low to ensure the pipes don't freeze so the house will likely be FREEZING cold. That should simulate winter enough without the elements getting to it, it gets pretty cold up here. Thank yoU!

I agree with Sarraceniaobsessed, but I would divide it up in early spring right at the end of dormancy.
Like the rubber duckies too.

Tommyr, nice Candy Apple Red telecaster.

with the purpurea in it's bloodline, it will survive very cold temperatures. I would put the plant on the counter in your kitchen if you leave. It should be bright AND dark enough in winter for it. I would say if it gets cold, THATS A GOOD THING. Sarracenia are used to cold winters, in fact, we just had quite a bit of snowfall and temperatures in the teens this last year, and all my Sarracenia survived. The purp never stopped looking better than the day the pitchers formed. Your plants look good, and they will be fine.

I agree with Sarraceniaobsessed, but I would divide it up in early spring right at the end of dormancy.
Like the rubber duckies too.

Tommyr, nice Candy Apple Red telecaster.

Thanks! Just got it 2 months ago, my first Tele. It's actually a bit darker red than the photo, Fender calls it "Midnight wine".

It has purp in it's bloodline so it can stand lots of water. I would put it in a deep plastic container and fill it up with water to the base of the plant. Do put it were it will get good light. The cold will be good for it. Let us know how it goes. All of my plants stand in water all winter with no problem.

cheers guys. I'll get a nice deep tray for it then and probably leave it in the bathroom over the winter. Upstairs has no double glazing so it gets pretty damned cold in the bathroom but it's the brightest room in the house. Here's hoping the poor thing survives.. heh

I have a "Midnight Wine" Stratocaster :eek:

Fender introduced Midnight Wine first on the Robin Trower Stratocaster, and then decided to offer it on other models.
Tommy, I play a lot of surf music, so tremolos are a necessity. People complain that when you use them, the guitar goes out of tune, but if you have a proper set-up, it works fine. I've got a couple of Strats (see my icon on another forum-It's a Limited Edition '57 reissue in White Blonde: a fantastic instrument that weighs less than 7 pounds and has beautiful resonance). I've got a tele too. A '52 US reissue, and a few other things.
Talk about hijacking a thread. Sorry!

Back