What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

pitcher plants outside in a terrarium

I have been growing some pitcher plants outside in a 10 gallon aquarium since March. it has been a pain with the drought and all, but they are doing well and are starting to show some color even though they are not that old. I noticed that someone suggested growing them with 24 hour lighting to speed up their growth and, coincidentally, these plants have been sitting under my porch lights at night and getting full sun during the day (I have been leaving the porch light on for some tree frogs that occupy my front porch at night).
Anyway, what I am wondering what I need to do this winter. I plan on letting them stay out through the fall and the early winter, but I am unsure how they will handle January & February. I may let them stay in my shed for some partial protection. Anybody out there have any better ideas or additional suggestions?

Are they seedlings? 24 hour lighting might benefit them for a year, as with skipping dormancy, if you want to force them to adulthood.

Forget the porch light - it's the wrong wavelength for plants to photosythesise with. You need a 6500 Kelvin white light kept very close to the plants.

Back