What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is my sarracenia dead?

First off, I'm sorry about the pitcure quality! It was the best that I could do. All of those stumps you see are pitchers which I've had to cut off of the plant. I received it with one 2-inch pitcher, which wasn't really clinging to life too well, and a large number of brown, dry, dead pitchers. A few days ago, it sent up one little green shoot, but as of today, that's started to go brown as well. It's well-watered and gets about 10 hours of sun a day, 7 hours direct. I've heard that purpurea are really hardy, so should I let it go for another few days, just to see if it can recover? Is there any way that I can tell if the main plant is dead? Thanks in advance!

Not sure about a Sarracenia but.......for my venus flytrap (that unfortunetly died) I used an easy way to see if it was dead. I first pulled up on it a bit and it came right out of the ground. Then I checked the roots and they looked dried up and dead. But not sure if that works the same on that kind of plant

it dosent look like it will make it. when they refer to S. purpurea as hardy...they mean cold hardy. cut off a small piece of the rhizome. if it is brown and mushy. you have a dead plant.

Alex

yeah dont cut the rhizome to much because if it is "alive" or "clinging to life" you will kill it.

I'll take a good look at the rhizome tomorrow. If it's not dead, what can I do to bring it back to good health?

carefully uproot the plant. spray with a good fungucide and insecticide then repot into fresh media. it look like how i lost several of my sarrs....rhizome rot.
Alex

No need to cut the rhizome, just a few gentle squeezes should do. It should be firm like a raw potato.

Well, I went and felt the rhizome of the plant in question, and it's still nice and firm, although the one shoot that'd popped up is most def. dead now. I guess I'll just keep watering it and hoping that the sun will come out soon.

I'd go easy on the watering. Keeping the soil too wet will encourage fungus and mold to grow. As long as the soil is slightly moist, the plant should be fine until(if) it recovers.

Look for any hint of white or green on the rhizome. Check the roots aren't brown.

To be honest though, you'll be waiting a while if it does recover and even longer for decent pitchers again. Since purps are so easy to get, I'd just bin it.

I'd have tossed it a few days ago, but it was one of those very deep purple pitcher producing plants from houston herp.

Things aren't looking so good for it right now. No green on the rhizome, I think it's a goner.

Back