What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

bugs to big?

Ive got a nice little sarr collection in a balcony box. Nothing to big though. they are growing great, but im having the following issue:

My sarrs are fly slayers, the bugs can stay away but many of the sarrs pitchers arent very large in diameter (they are young plants). often time the bugs get stuck near the top of the pitcher.

What im wondering is if the sarrs can still digest bugs if they dont make it very far down the pitcher. I have several with fly abdomens sticking out the tops. and others with a bunch of flies piled up on top of the 1st one that got stuck only 1/4 of the way down. I was under the impression that they had to fall a ways down the pitcher to get digested.

its also causing a coupld of my pitchers to topple due to being top heavy.

Is the fact that the bugs get stuck near the top ok? if not are they just acting as a plug? should i pick out the stuck bugs?

Thanks

That happens. You might want to take a piece of cotton ball and stuff it in the opening so the pitchers don't become too top-heavy.

It happens a lot. I've especially noticed it with luecos and lueco hybrids. Follow herenothere's advice to prevent the toppling. Or you could always use stakes and prop the pitchers if you don't have too awful many.

The insects may gradually rot, fragment and make their way down the tube, or they may just sit there.

Just leave them - nobody goes around with sticks poking pitchers in the wild.

LOL, That made me think of the tooth-fairy or something. It's never seen but the bug-fairy goes around in the wild to make sure bugs go down into the pitchers! Wow, I don't think I got enough sleep.....

Just leave them - nobody goes around with sticks poking pitchers in the wild.

I will one day, it's my aspiration goal :).

Well, I suppose this will sound pretty goofy, but I have been growing some unknown variety sarrencia seeds, and I have a stock of fruit flies that I like to feed them.

Problem is, they are still pretty small, so I "plunge" the flies down the pitchers with a stiff blade of grass or something equivalent. It just makes me feel better to know they are well fed, even if its unnatural and perhaps unnecessary.

And I don't have to look at fly abdomens all the time that way.

Back