What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help!!! with dalingtonya 'othello'

Help my dalingtonya 'Othello' are dying I put them in the fridge after a heat stroke and about an hour later I felt the leafs they were nice and hard! so I decided to leave them in there overnight and the next day I checked and it was starting to get black and I took them out and now they are struggling and I don’t think they are going to make it what do I do? Any help ASAP is appreciated

thanks Matthew

The rapid temperature change probably shocked your plants. Leaving them in overnight may have started to force them into dormancy which they were unprepared for.

On hot days instead of putting them in the refrigerator top water with chilled distilled/RO filtered water or put ice cubes of made of the same on top of the pots (but not touching the plants).

The only thing you can do is continue to water as normal and wait to see if they recover.

Yes, the rapid temperature drop from heat to cold probably ruptured cells or something, and then putting it into forced dormancy like that and pulled them out did it even more.

Basically... survival rate is quite low I'd say, but, good luck and hope.

I think it's shock from the sudden and drastic temp drop. Most fridges are set at about 36°F to 38°F. So if your outdoor temp was 90°F and you put them in the fridge which is at 38°F, that's a 52° temp change. It'd be like you stepping into a cold shower on a hot day. It's likely that the leaves are gonners. You may get new growth from the rhyzome, but that depends on how it handled the temp drop. Since the soil in the pot would slow the temp drop down, it may not be as bad off as the leaves and might recover. At best, you have set the plants growth back a bit. At worst you now have a pot for another sarracenia.

Hi Matthew

Using full sentences and punctuation on the forum makes it easier for us to understand, and ultimately help you.

Back