What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Clint

Stay chooned in for more!
It's a new (although not the newest) pitcher on my Cephalotus "Hummer's Giant". I'm not satisfied with the color, so I lowered the metal halide about 5 inches. I hope it doesn't burn it: I don't think it will. I wish there weren't so many growth points overlapping each other, but there's no way I'm going to try to separate them. Cephalotus does what it wants in my house!

I inoculated it with Trichoderma , but I can't see if it's alive and doing anything under the media or not. I used to have pebbles on top to make it look nice, but top watering mixed it all up anyway. It's in a like... 6 inch wide, maybe 8 inch tall clay pot, I guess. I do top water, because I don't have it on a tray system, and I think top water plus a porous clay pot makes Cephalotus a happy camper in my conditions. I'm sure having the terrarium only 50% closed and having a fan helps, too. Lots of air movement for this fuzzy guy. I fertilize regularly, foliarly and directly in the pitchers.

DSC02549.jpg

DSC02546.jpg

DSC02548.jpg

B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L. Cephalotus is my absolute FAVORITE! You really can grow 'em! Haha, if you hadn't mistaken me that one time I'd have a Hummers Giant... but then I wouldn't have my fabulous S. 'Bugscoop' outside... hmm.

Cephalotus is good in any color, red, green, black, blue (that'd be AWESOME! Then again, a blue CP doesn't exist to my knowledge, yes some have blue flowers but blue pitchers? Blue traps? Hmm...), yellow etc.

You fertilize in the pitchers? Hmm, interesting. I was trying to dribble a little fertilizer on the pitcher leaves and the non carnivorous leaves on mine and only got a little on haha, next time I might try doing it in the pitchers. A fine specimen, Clint!

~Sam

Looking good, Clint. I'm looking forward to some adult pitchers in, well, some years.

You say you lowered the lights 5 inches. How far away are the lights away now?

xvart.

Just measured and it's 19 inches now. Used to be 24.

That is an adult pitcher, but I know what you mean :-O I can't wait for it to become "giant" either.

I read about that long ago but now that it's dead...!

fantastic dude. man! I hope my ceph comes back and starts growing again. :(

Nice plant! I see a few winter leaves in there. I would attempt leaf cuttings, in totally different pots, as a backup.

Nice looking Ceph JLAP. I need to get my lazy duff in gear and take a few pictes of mine. I second Jim on the cuttings. I did a leaf cutting from mine last year and it took without a problem. The plant's not very big, but if the momma plant bites the dust, it's better than nothing at all.

Ta-da!Added mylar and lowered the light 5 inches and not it looks like I wanted it.

DSC02592.jpg

DSC02593.jpg

Wow! Well worth the effort, JLAP.

They look just about as red as me after a day at the beach!

They are definitely looking very happy. 8)

-Nate

Your Cephalotus is very beautiful Clint, as I said.

~NeciFiX

Extremely impressive! I'm suprised it got red just like you wanted. Keep it up!

That happened fast!

xvart.

Glad to see it is doing very well for you!
Looks well adjusted and quite happy.
JMatt

Back