What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

S.minor...major problem

Anyone notice how S.minor is a very difficult species to grow? Or is it just me? I really don't understand it. It is the species with the southernmost range. And therefore closest to my geographic location. You'd think that would make it the easiest for me to grow. The only minor I can grow with success is Okeefenokee Giant. I grow my Sarracenia in a mixture of peat and perlite. I grow them fairly dry (which in theory should be to the delight of minor). Anyone have similar observations or advice?

I grow just like all my other Sarrs. I've had relatively few problems but I do seem to be opposite with the variations. I lost my 2 yr old Okee :-( I've never really heard to keep them dryer than the others. I've heard that more for the Oreophilla than the Minor. What's the lighting you've got?

Minor sometimes grows in drier areas thank most sarracenia (at least here in Florida). I grow all my sarracenia in full, blazing sun all day long.

I grow mine pretty wet lol just like other CPs... my okefenokee I just water and leave alone. Just like all my Sarras.

I have had no such problems...

same fity/fity peat perlite mix i always use...in two years it went from a seedling to a flowering adult! it is by far my fastest growing sarracenia!

Obregon...mi amigo. I don't understand what is going on. This is very perplexing.

mfh
I have not tried to grow it for a while, but had similar problems. I actually grew it from seed, and the seedling thrived and grew great under light, but quickly declined when they went out with my other Sarrs. I also noticed you don't see S. minor for sale as often as often as the others, and often the nurseries are sold out of it. It is an attractive species, and that makes me think it must be a little more difficult to grow commercially than some of the others. I also have a bit of troulbe with rubras under my growing conditions, but everything else thrives (inlcuding a hybrid of rubra/minor, and a few other hybrids with one of the other in their parentage). Interesting observation!

oops nevermind

Last edited:
Hey you're right! My typical minor is very unhealthy these days (and previously too). It's pitchers never could stand up on their own.

See?!! Some of us have this problem. What's the deal?

How exactly have your minors had problems?

It's a bit slow to grow when a seedling, like rubra and psittacina, but it's requirements are no different from other sarracenia.

Maybe it's just a crappy plant that made its way into tissue culture. Are these S. minor with location data or named varieties giving you people problems (other than Wesley)?

Never had any problems with mine, Manny.

Maybe you just have a weak clone(s), though your S. minor was looking pretty healthy a couple years ago at Fairchild (unless that was Clyde's)! Was that a typical or okee?

That was the Okee. Those do very well for me. I've tried other minors of all different backgrounds. Some from tc, some seed grown. Location data and without. It's not just that they're slow. They don't survive. I can't explain it.

Back