What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

REPORT NATURAL SARRACENIA SITES!

PlantAKiss

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, Engl
Hi everybody

If anyone discovers/knows of natural stands of Sarracenia, the North American Sarracenia Conservancy (NASC) wants to know about them. Also, if you know of land containing Sarracenia that is slated for development, we want to know about that as well.

NASC's goals are:

- To protect/preserve as many of these sites as possible
- To record site locations (GPS data if possible) into our database so there is a record of their existence
- To legally and sensitively collect small field samples for the growing program in order to continue the existence of each specific location plant and/or to restore failing or destroyed sites whenever possible
- To have land surveys taken recording the details and condition of each stand's current natural habitat

NASC needs many eyes and hands to achieve these goals. PLEASE, if you know of locations, REPORT them to NASC and help us build the database and growing program. We cannot allow these dwindling sites to go undocumented and preserved as best we can. **DO NOT PERFORM COLLECTIONS ON YOUR OWN.** Doing so could potentially cause more harm than good.

All our location data is confidential to prevent habitat disturbance and poaching.

You can contact any NASC Board member directly via email at the website:

www.nasarracenia.org

Some of us are also forum members so you can PM: Ozzy, Est, Schloaty or PlantAKiss; Jeremiah, HoustonHerp, Noah and PFTemesis are also members but not on the forums as regularly.

We ask that any exact locations not be made public to reduce the chances of a site being depleted by plant/seed removal for personal collections. And don't forget that a future goal of NASC is to have program-grown, location plants/seed available to the public so there is no need to remove any natural plant material to get them!

When you see Sarracenia in the wild...THINK NASC!

We want to keep these fantastic plants on our planet. NASC needs YOU to help but please contact us FIRST.

Thank you!

Suzanne
NASC President

Last edited:
I wanted to make one additional, but VERY important point here.

PLEASE do not do collections of material on your own for NASC. Anything related to NASC must follow certain procedures including having a Non-Disclosure Agreement (NDA) signed as well as ALL LEGAL applications followed (permission by landowner, etc.).

And most especially...if you know of or see a site you believe to be endangered, DO NOT take it upon yourself to "rescue" plants without first checking to make sure that some conservation effort is not already in progress.
Doing so can cause more harm than good.

If you know of a site or hear of a site of Sarracenia, contact NASC as your first step. If we don't know about the site, we can find out what the status is and if its already under protection.

***Taking plants out of the wild has the potential for SERIOUS repercussions for Sarracenia and those working to save them. Do not make assumptions about their status. Contact NASC FIRST!*** Good, but uninformed, intentions could possibly cause great harm to the plants.

Last edited:
Can people please post known locations of introduced Sarracenia sp. as well?

Unless I'm mistaken, I think the point is to not post them so they are better protected. Someone can correct me if I'm incorrect

Back