What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gel in S. x catesbaei

NeciFiX

Kung Fu Fighting!
I received a S. x catesbaei awhile back from flytrapshop.com and in one of the pitchers there is a white gel like substance, not like jello where it jiggles but like gel. It's really weird and it's only in that one pitcher. Any idea of what it is?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen it in a bunch of different kinds of pitchers... I don't get it in my S.catesbaei but I have seen it in a Nepenthes "Judith Finn" I babysat for a friend of mine and in her Sarrecenia purpurea. I think it might be just a fungus or mold or something that is on a decomposing insect that just happens to help aid in digestion and make the liquid more viscous.

I don't think it's a problem :D,
-J.P.

when biological material is digested, it basically becomes a viscous goo. that is likely what you are seeing. i got it in my judith finn when i used to feed it a lot. keep an eye on it though, that stuff molds like you wouldnt imagine.

It was a REALLY thick spider web nest thing a female was laying her eggs in it... so I flooded the pitcher and they all drowned and died. I put mama spider in a Venus Flytrap and took a stick and liquidated the eggs so now the water is murky white! Talk about an energy drink for CP's haha.

It was a REALLY thick spider web nest thing a female was laying her eggs in it... so I flooded the pitcher and they all drowned and died. I put mama spider in a Venus Flytrap and took a stick and liquidated the eggs so now the water is murky white! Talk about an energy drink for CP's haha.

HARSH!

Thats like killing a pregnant mother! and liquidating her kids!?!?

Just kidding...:D

Yeah. Her kids are being absorbed now.

Back