User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cephs in high temperatures year round - Anyone?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vraev View Post
    during my last summer I lived in a non air conditioned house and the temps inside used to be around 80 - 90F during day with maybe high 70s at night. My ceph almost died due to the heat and then came back. THis time I am living back at my parents house in the basement and the temps are max 70 or around 68F during day with max 60F at night which can sometimes be around 55F as well as everything is on the floor of the basement. Nevertheless my highland neps, cephs are doing great and just doing their own thing. Almost for an year..I never had seen my ceph with more than 4 or 5 pitchers at once. Pitcher life was almost like 2 months only. Now pitchers since october are still on the plant and the plant has 11 pitchers with 5 more on the way. As u can see..I totally say that cephs prefer highland conditions.
    I would tend to agree. Those plants that I've kept in cooler Tbs have longer lasting leaves than others, some a couple of years old now by my count. All I know is that it seldom exceeds 25 degrees (77 F) at any time where the plants actually occur in Western Australia. Here are some monthly weather averages for Albany:

High Temperature ( F / C ) 77 / 25, 77 / 25, 76 / 24, 71 / 22, 66 / 19, 62 / 17, 60 / 16, 61 / 16, 63 / 17, 66 / 19, 69 / 21, 74 / 24

Low Temperature ( F / C ) 56 / 14, 58 / 14, 56 / 13, 53 / 12, 50 / 10, 47 / 8, 45 / 7, 45 / 7, 46 / 8, 48 / 9, 51 / 11, 54 / 12,

Place looks like San Francisco and highland conditions to me . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My conditions are now in the mid 80s at night and into the 90s in the day. Since the plants are on a mound, they receive direct sunlight for 1-2 hours each day but the pot (root region) is in shade. The plants are doing well. I made it a point to keep the pots cool to prevent root rot.

I believe Cephs can do well in lowland tropical conditions because they survive summer in the wild. But they do grow faster and produce larger pitchers when my temperatures are down to the 70s during the year end. That is also when the weather is more humid, averages around 75-80% RH.
    Cindy

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cindy View Post
    My conditions are now in the mid 80s at night and into the 90s in the day. Since the plants are on a mound, they receive direct sunlight for 1-2 hours each day but the pot (root region) is in shade. The plants are doing well. I made it a point to keep the pots cool to prevent root rot.

I believe Cephs can do well in lowland tropical conditions because they survive summer in the wild. But they do grow faster and produce larger pitchers when my temperatures are down to the 70s during the year end. That is also when the weather is more humid, averages around 75-80% RH.

I think we all agree that the plants are far tougher than we ever give them credit for, and thanks again for all of the great shots of your mass-planting of Cephalotus you posted. Provided that the plants are healthy, there is always some Tb latitude.

Much like you, we all have to take into account the local climate at hand. In Singapore, you have no issue growing lowland species out in the open; while here in San Francisco, it is highland all the way, where even Heliamphora can be grown on a windowsill . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123