What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chubby Pitcher Plants!

NeciFiX

Kung Fu Fighting!
Indeed,

My Sarracenia and Cephalotus and other pitchers seem to be growing wider than taller as time progresses. My Sarracenia 'bugscoop' I received from Victoria had pitchers where you could barely fit one finger in the mouth. The new one can easily fit two in at once! It's more than doubled in it's width. The same goes for other Sarracenia I received some time ago. My Cephalotus also has put out a pitcher that makes the other pitchers look skinny, it's also grown taller slightly but mostly wider with a more pronounced lime green peristome with a completely blushed red body (it's noticeably redder since I removed the plastic humidity dome so it gets more light, but it's still not intense red, just the whole pitcher is blushed red now lol).

Every pitcher I've had for awhile now is getting chubbier. I was completely shocked on how extremely wide my new S. 'bugscoop' pitcher was! That one takes the cake in the width increase difference.

I thought they were supposed to grow taller, catching too many chocolate covered crickets maybe? ??? :-D

~NeciFiX

S. 'Bugscoop' is a cultivar of S. courtii x S. leucophylla. S. leucophylla produce their best pitchers towards fall, and next spring you should get lackluster pitchers compared to what is yet to come next fall.

Just FYI, your little humidity dome shouldn't block out any appreciable light at all unless it's dirty or a colored plastic or something. The greenhouse affect is a good reason to get rid of it if it was in a window or something.

Yeah it was in a windowsill so I got rid of it.

Back