What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Sarrs and the bees

• Thread starter Pyro
  • Start date

Pyro

N=R* fs fp ne fl fi fc L
Just some fun shots

P9010038.jpg

P9010040.jpg

P9010039.jpg

P9010041.jpg

I'm always amazed at how many bee's Sarrs manage to consume. I have a Jonesii pitcher that's only about seven inches tall, and it's completley toppled over from catching so many wasps! I believe I've heard theories that Sarr nectar somhow intoxicates or drunkens insects. What do you make of that? Great photos btw!....oh, do you know what kind of bee that is on the S. minor, because I've never seen one like that before?

my S. minor love wasps. som of the pitchers fell over recently and i sliced 4 of them open.... 8 wasps i found!!! i always see them licking up nectar....but from S. minor only. never the leucos or rubras. it funny because i also frequently see them stuck in the opening(one of my forms is thinner at the mouth than at the body) struggling....so i give em a little push :)

Alex

it looks like what we call a red wasp in this area...

I've noticed that wasps seem to be particularly attracted my S. minors than my other Sarrs. Similarly, I've noticed wasps trying to force their way into pitchers much too small for them to get into in what I guess is a pursuit of nectar...

I see yellow jackets all the time, hanging around the pitcher... just never saw one actually do the pitfall thing.

it looks like what we call a red wasp in this area...

I've noticed that wasps seem to be particularly attracted my S. minors than my other Sarrs. Similarly, I've noticed wasps trying to force their way into pitchers much too small for them to get into in what I guess is a pursuit of nectar...

Most of my Sarracenia minor 'okee giant' pitchers quickly were torn up by spiders and escaping bees. However, that is not the case anymore since I've killed so many spiders and the wasps are almost completely gone for the season, that or they are too small to chew their way out.

No idea what the red/orange wasp is, not too up on my Hymenoptera to be honest. All I can say is that it is one of the most common wasp-types here.

Interesting to hear how many others find wasps as prey. I have an odd occurance that I have noticed. The most common prey in one of my bogs seems to be the cricket killers. Very interesting to see dozens of metallic black things flying around the pitchrs at all hours

Today a wasp landed on one of my VFT's, but it didn't get caught...besides sundews and pings, I've never actually seen one of my plants capture anything...it's certainly exciting when a wasp or fly is flying around one of my plants though.

Why am I the only one who seems to have the ugliest CP's?

nah-mine look like crap 3 months out of 12!

nice pics, btw!

nah-mine look like crap 3 months out of 12!
and mine look like crap for the other nine months. Nice looking plants Pyro. I'm hoping mine will look that nice next year!

Why am I the only one who seems to have the ugliest CP's?

Actually I can not take credit for those plants as the pics were shot at ABG :) But I can post some of my plants if you want...

Back