What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should I be worried about this?

vraev

Carnivorous plant enthusiast
Admin
Hi guys,

If you remember the growth tip of my ceph blackened.

yada yada,,,the plant basically made new offshoots and the parent one died.

these are pitchers off the offshoots. Now this pic is from the 16th of sept. Notice the left pitcher and right pitchers FRONT RIDGE groove. Especially the black area on the pitcher on the right in that place.

1415348008_d4fdf41e00_b.jpg

Okay! Now see this..this pic is from today.

ceph1.jpg

Now....so far...I have fed each pitcher a small betta pellet like a week ago. There is new growth as u can see a bud coming up

ceph2.jpg

Now, I am concerned about that black area. It seems to be growing as the pitcher is getting more colourful. Is this something of concern?

thanks,

varun

Whatever it is, the only thing we know for certain is that you worry too much. You really worry about every little detail about every aspect of your plants and a hobby isn't any fun if you can't relax and enjoy it.

Aww come on JLAP. He's just concerned for his plants. That's a good thing. But as far as their health goes, I think the Pill is right Vraev. You're plants should be doing fine, especially since they bounced back. I have had a couple baby Ceph pitchers go black on me, but new growth always sprouts back up. Also, your cephs are bound to change colors with the lighting, and I know some of mine will range from almost pure white to a very deep purple, almost black. Regardless of this tho, they always seem to be surviving. This is a hobby like the Pill said, but if you're like me, I'm sure you just want to make sure you are providing the best habitat possible. Great pics by the way. What are your cephs potted in? Good Luck!

-Daniel

Edit: Actually I take it all back, this isn't a hobby it's an addiction. A costly one lol. I know I can't buy enough Neps to satisfy me lol.

To me, you're media looks awfully moist! I think if you switched to a media like 2/1 perlite/peat or throw some sand in even (good idea!), you'd have a more robust plant and probably a more extensive root system (I can't say because I don't know the status of it now). IME, when in doubt it's better to underwater Cephalotus. You're looks "soft" and over nurtured.

For example, look at how rocky and dry my media looks. Excuse the bad quality since I took them in a hurry for someone else. The top is almost always dry with the media under that just moist enough, it's not on the tray system unless I go out of town, and it's in a deep clay pot. Moisture harbors fungi and other nasties, and Cephalotus are pretty hirsute plants who benefit from a healthy dose of air movement! I do have high humidity, but I've got a 24/7 breeze from the fan and the terrarium is only 50% covered.

DSC02651.jpg

DSC02653.jpg

DSC02652.jpg

I've got a happy family of spring tails living in the pitchers :) So adorable. You can even see one of them in the last pic.

Actually the reason the media looks BLACK now is:

I started a new watering system. I let the sphagnum dry out. Normally I water twice a week. Now, I let the entire sphag dry out. The top sphag was like DRY...kinda like dehydrated. Then I watered overhead...a lot of water seemed to get absorbed and finally then later I got the running water from the holes. I removed the excess.

I started this new method just to prevent such things...fungal outbreaks. BTW...I also have a air source. I have this setup in front of a window...so basically the ceph now gets outside temps...like 75F at day and like 60F cold air at night right on the face. Humidity is like air humdity which is pretty low.

BTW...I would love to repot... but the guy who gave me the ceph and who grows them like weeds told me to wait. Even he uses Sphag just for rooting cuttings and thats why mine is in a sphag medium. he uses peat + sand as well.

So yeah...I know the pot is insanely small... 3 inches diameter. I want to repot knowing that cephs like a big root system. But, I was taking his advice as he said that its better to let the plant settle and grow without disturbances for a while before doing a repotting and especially since I need to remove all the media from the roots.

@Daniel,

thanks bud. I was thinking that i got over the storm considering my only ceph die off. This is when I suddenly notice this patchy colouration along with some black streaks. Now some online sites say its downy mildew. BTW...its growing in pure sphagum.

I am getting some trichoderma soon. I don't know if it can help now though. :(

But yeah...I am hoping for the best.

Oh yes you SHOULD definitely wait. Please don't think I suggest you repot now because it wouldn't be wise.

They really aren't hard plants at all. Mine is growing in mid-high 70's during the day (22.78 - 26.1 C) and 70 (21.1 C) on the dot at night. It'll go down to 50-55 (10 C - 12.7C) this winter and I'm sure it will love it!

well...hope it grows enough for one day when it can be repotted to a nice 8 inch pot. But, in the meanwhile I have other very important non-CP issues to worry about. But, still, come on' dude....what can u expect from me? ;) :p ... this is the ONE AND ONLY ceph I have for now...and I want to make sure that I can grow this plant well. Its like I have a few favourite plants that have a special place in my heart. Of course you know the very first in that list...almost everyone who knows me knows it. ;) This is on the same lines. :p

What exactly is the makeup of the soil mixture? 100% sphag?

xvart.

yeah... 100% sphag. As I said...the only reason its in there..is becos the dude uses it as a rooting medium. His cephs all grow in peat + sand. He didnt want to uproot and send as it might stress the very young pplant. (it came through post)

BTW....the sphag is LIVE. the top layer is red...when I dig some from the black dead sphag area..there is green stuff underneath.

I can't claim to be an expert in ceph's by any means, but I can tell you what I would do. I would repot it because sphag is going to hold way too much moisture for far too long. Even when you let the top dry out the bottom is still going to be very damp.

If, as it seems has been suggested, the problem is related to being too damp, the problem is not going to go away as long as it is potted in a medium that is notorious for holding water. Again, if it were me, I would repot into a more suitable medium and let it be stressed and make a longer recovery than trying to work out watering with pure sphag and maybe getting the problem solved, then restressing it with repotting. Just be careful and gentle when repotting and then it will be in perfect conditions to recover.

xvart.

Hmm.....its a real hard decision considering this is my first and only ceph for now. hmm.... I don't know xvart. What u say is true. The problems I seem to be having all the time is just the issue of media being too wet. BTW...can I use bark in the medium ?? :p lol!

especially after I hammer this into smaller pieces:

1415888252_6b31558282.jpg

It contains western fir bark. But the pieces are large. I need to hammer them to smaller ones.

Now...basically the idea being: PERLITE + PEAT + BARK + TRICHODERMA POWDER with high conc or bark and perlite rather than the peat. I can't find sand anywhere here locally.

I use a mixture of bark, perlite, and peat. I don't have any sand on hand at the moment and don't use any exact porportions; but, heavy on the perlite, light on the peat, and a decent amount of bark for good measure. That bark will work fine, and would be better if you did mash it up some; but not necessary in my opinion.

I am of the belief that plants recover better in optimal conditions; even if it adds a little more stress to the plant. Plants are strong. They may get stressed but stress doesn't mean definitive death. Death usually occurs from prolonged stress and unfavorable conditions.

xvart.

well....I guess you have truly given me something to consider. I am thinking its better to give the ceph a big pot as well to have nice even media conditions and start off a fresh with nice trichoderma addition. Hmm..... decisions ..decisions.....soo annoying and kinda scary when dealing with a lone plant in your collection. ;)

Just think - if you repot it now you can put it in the 8 inch pot and you will not have to worry about repotting for a very long time; unless you want to divide it of course!

xvart.

Back