What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

THE HEART OF A CEPH: Repot of my small darling

wow....seeing that 330pm would have made you soo shocked and panicky didn't it?? lol! finally who understands my reasons of anxiety. lol! this plant is very very rare to get and repotting it is among the fears of owning a ceph...especially when it seems to grow somewhat. Cindy, why don't u get distilled water from the grocery store? I get mine at 0.99$ for 4L. Well....as of right now...in the past 5 hrs, the plant looks stil the same, the pitchers are gaping wide without sign of clousure, the leaves still look the same firm-ness. Well....lets see.

good luckk with the cuttings. I know, I saw an opportunity to seperate this part from which small baby pitchers were growing. It had its own growth point, its own independent roots. But, I was doing enough to disturb it already..so I let it be.

I understand being concerned with a prized plant when repotting, but dang! That original post was almost long enough to be a short Cephalotus novel.

I'd say most CPs are very tolerant of repotting, and this includes Cephalotus. Whenever I repot a plant, I just take the entire chunk of soil as one piece and place that inside a bigger pot, filling in the spaces with new soil (I believe someone previously mentioned this in this post). I've repotted several Cephs this way and none of them have showed any visible signs of stress.

So in fewer words: Stress less bro!

lol! I know you guys must be like "this dude really needs a life." lol!...but...well....I guess you do "EMBELLISH the truth a bit while writing". I owe that skill to the writing section on various tests. lol! but well...u gotta see the reason I was so worried..lol! I had this plant since march ending....grew slowly for a while...moved and then later its growth stopped for 3 monts...came back up...but all the old plant died as the new part was growing. Then when its again back on track...I am doing a major change of COMPLETE removal of media as If I had used some of the existing moss around the plant, it would completely negate the purpose of giving it an airy mix as this. So yeah...no regrets. It seems to be fine. ;) I'll know in a while.

It is thought by some experts that the failed repotting of a cephalotus can potentially, in rare cases, alter the orbit of the planet and doom it to a gradual, inescapable death-spiral into the sun, wiping out all life and boiling away the oceans within mere decades.

These guys were just too polite to say anything about it.

So, yeah, no pressure, just, FYI...

very funny. :jester:

"I once had a dream that a hamburger was eating me!!" Seinfeld.

Hi vraev,

I was just sitting next to my rack of CPs and wondering why some of the leaves and pitchers of the newly potted Cephs are limp. Then I counted and realised that all but one that are being potted in leca had limp leaves and pitchers! At that moment, my head was swirling and I had only one bottle of distilled water at hand...so I repotted them. On hind site, I should go and get the distilled water when I went out for dinner last night. I nearly had a heart attack when I saw the reading as 330ppm...no wonder the leaves and pitchers went limp. :-(

I just chucked the rhizome cuttings into a box with live sphagunum. Hopefully they will start producing offshoots in 3-4 weeks' time.

Cephalotus plants are a rarity this part of the world too.

aaah...singapore...yeah....I guess. ;) Its interesting...US has sooo many sources..in canada the only source is from peers in the cp community. There is no other way to get a hold of a ceph here. :(

good luck with the cuttings and your plants cindy. I guess both of our plants need it. :)

I'd like to try a ceph on my windowsill, but prices... 30 bucks for a 1 inch ceph... It's not worth the risk

You're more scared than I am with this! You just repotted it, relax. I've knocked my Ceph over, knocked its humidity dome at least 20 times off (though, it's acclimated to low humidity now), knocked the pot over, left it on my kitchen table for two days, poked at it, and she's still going strong. Even showing a fellow CP grower my Ceph over webcam thought it was beautiful I guess. Cephs are tougher than people give them credit for!

Nepfreak: My Ceph 'German Giant' is in a windowsill with no humidity dome. I let it frequently get bone dry to the touch, then flood the soil, it gets wet, by the next day it's only damp, then it slowly goes into bone dry. This lessens the chance of rot and I only have to water it every 2 weeks. By the way, I also use tap water, I have for a long time, haha. Low humidity, collision prone, windowsill Cephalotus 'German Giant' getting watered with tap water. She's still goin' strong, and she's still very beautiful.

any pics dude? :)

edit... np...just found them ;) . Beautiful plant u got there. ;)

wow! well I'll see if I can get one at NECPS.
vraev, I get really paranoid about my plants as well. I remember when I had my rajah... It wasn't doing well, so I had a panic attack and gave it to a local greenhouse.

Any update on how your ceph is faring?

xvart.

SLOW but STEADY! :)

1537966444_0b5bc59ed4.jpg

Back