What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fall S. leucophylla Flowers and Other seedlings?

Today I was preening my patio bogs when I noticed several very odd things. First, I noticed that my S. leucophylla, which has never flowered in the 5 years I've had it, has a flower growing now - at the end of September!

img2542cp0.jpg

I also noticed that there are seedling sundews and VFTs growing all over the place.

img2539hi9.jpg

img2331yc5.jpg

I've never had this happen in the fall before and have absolutely no idea what to do. I'm tempted to just let nature run its course. After all, I live in Atlanta and I keep my bogs outside all winter (except when it gets below freezing). But I worry about the VFT seedlings because they're always hard for me to keep alive under "normal" conditions. I don't want to lose them.

I think this odd behavior must be because it's once again in the 90s F after a few days of cooler weather.

Any ideas as to what I should do?

Last edited by a moderator:
The leucos are responding to the day length. The day lenght now is about the same as in the spring when they bloom. The plant cannot tell it is going in reverse. enjoy the flower or cut it off I think it will make no difference.

The Drosera looks to be D. burmanii and needs to come inside for the winter. I would guess the VFT too because it is so small. If it were bigger, I would say leave it.

And you can look forward to beautiful flowers on your S. leucophylla from now on. It has come of age :water:

You live in Georgia; the perfect carnivorous plant climate.

Let nature take its course.

Late flowering in Sarracenia can be triggered by a sudden change in temperature, or drought. Conversely, it can be a random event with no obvious cause!

Just leave things be.

Last edited by a moderator:
UPDATE

I had around 15 flowers on all species, but I suspect the flowers are done with as of today - my container bogs are frozen solid and all of the soft vegetation (flowers, new growth) are completely fallen oven. Thank goodness for winter - finally.

Back