What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Seed Pods...

NeciFiX

Kung Fu Fighting!
OK I'm a little worried here.

My Sarracenia like S. minor 'okee giant' and S. leucophylla 'hot pink' and there might be another have flower stalks with developing seed pods and they were "open pollinated" I believe it's termed, the capsules are still green, and in a month there might be a blanket of snow on the ground. What do I do?

Thanks!

~NeciFiX

Cut them off and throw them away or wait until they are ready to harvest. Depending on your climate, you could sow them as soon as the pods split and leave them outside over the winter or you could stratify them in the fridge.

It depends on if you want to collect the seeds, toss them or let nature take its own course.

If you want to collect the seeds you can probably cut the pods now and put them in paper envelopes to dry. The seeds should be fully ripened by now.

Otherwise clip and discard or just leave them be. Sarracenia seeds are designed to overwinter and the natural cold storage shouldn't harm them.

See this thread:
http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=660855

Thank You! I'll wait a week or two longer and then cut them off :).

Leave them!

They'll turn brown at some point and then you can find out if you've got seeds or not.

Cutting them off would serve no purpose.

Leave them!

They'll turn brown at some point and then you can find out if you've got seeds or not.

Cutting them off would serve no purpose.

In that time the plants would be ice blocks! This is Wisconsin you know :p. That's why I'm waiting a few more weeks.

The pods will be frozen for a few months, but you might still get seed from them eventually.

Back