What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Problem with a tray of Sarracenia

For a few months now, a single tray of seed grown pitcher plants have been showing signs of an illness or something and I can't figure out the problem.

It starts with most if not all new growth becoming twisted and disfigured. Afterwards existing pitchers start showing brown discoloration on the lids(not normal dying of the pitchers, the lids are still alive but the color has changed to brown).

The water quality in the tray is perfectly fine at 10 TDS. Its strange that all plants, even though they're not related genetically, have been showing these signs or have just started to. Also, 2 of my larger seed grown plants that I removed from this tray into another one earlier this year have shown no signs at all of this, nor have any of my other Sarracenia.

Finally, heres some pictures of 3 different plants showing these symptoms. The disfigured growth is firm like a normal pitcher should be, not soft like its wilted.

This one is the worst so far.
sprob1.jpg

This one has put out 1 good pitcher in between all the other bad growth.
sprob2.jpg

There seems to be an issue with the pitchers fusing at the front as can be seen here.
sprob3.jpg

The only thing I can think of is that there could be an aquatic/soil parasite that has been affecting these plants.

Any ideas, Sarra experts?

Thrips would be my guess. The rolled ala on the last photo is some what typical of the damage they do to new leaves. Depending on species they tend to damage the tender parts of new leaves

Very tiny 0.5 to 5 mm (usually 1-2mm). It might be easier to spot their poop, lots of tiny black specks - might be mistaken for sooty mold. They can promote sooty mold too.

Neem oil or a systemic insecticide should take care of them. Sap suckers and chewers.

What are you growing them in ?

Have you pulled any of them up to look at the roots and rhizome ?

Joel

Brooks, just for the audience, what Home Depot or Lowes product would be appropriate?

I have used Orthene and similar products on my Sarracenia. Actually, I have never had a problem with any insecticide (yet) on my Sarrs. Just make sure it is mixed according to instructions. Don't spray them in midday, hot sun either. Early morning or evening is best. Sounds like thrips to me also. However, the leaf in the last photo almost looks covered with scale insects. It may just be the brown, damaged spots.

Brooks, just for the audience, what Home Depot or Lowes product would be appropriate?

I've used Bayer Advanced dual action Rose and Flower Insect Killer. It has a pyrethroid (synthetic pyrethrin) and a systemic insecticide Imidacloprid. Thrips are specifically stated as a target pest in the literature for this product.

I've used this on my Sarracenia, Dionaea and Drosera with no major ill effects. I did get some red staining on a few of the old pitchers but none on younger pitchers. No visible effects on Dionaea and with the Drosera (treated for aphids) I just used the needle spray setting and sprayed only the crown of the plant and did not mist the leaves, letting the systemic do the work.

Available at HD & Lowe's etc.

Last year I bought that product and at the time I had several plastic trays of the collection on top of a 4 x 8' sheet of plywood. I was a little reluctant to spray it on the plants and ended up spraying along the perimeter of the trays. Can't discern as to whether it had any effect or not.

Back