What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mutated Hybrid?

I have a S.leucophylla hybrid that nearly every pitcher on is not forming correctly. They are partly collapsed or suqashed on one side, like they don't inflate or open correctly.

Now I have had this plant for a number of years and it has been repotted and divided several times and it always seems to have grown this way.

Anyone else heard of or seen this sort of thing?

Will get some pictures one the pitchers form!

Does the nectar roll have a kink in it on one side?

Some individuals suffer from that. There's nothing you can do, it's just genetic.

I have a Flava 'veinless' that has done that every year since I had had it..(probably 5 years now)

at first I thought it must have been some kind of root or parasite problem, so I always kept it in its own pot away from the rest of my collection..so as not to spread "whatever it is"..

but after several re-pottings in fresh clean media, with no change to the plant, I can only conlude its just the way that plant grows!

So I agree with Alexis..some plants just grow that way..
(dont breed them or let them flower!)

Scot

It's amazing there aren't more plants with that problem. If you think about the differences between certain sarracenias, it's amazing that hybrids are a perfect mix of the two parents most of the time.

Back