What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ceph with no winter leaves

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
My plant is on the window sill, where it gets whatever photoperiod nature provides, and its sill gets cold. Why are there no winter leaves?

I imagine winter leaves are the non-carnivorous leaves? My Cephs never produce any... they have only produced pitchers so far.

Scott,
If that's the plant I gave you all those years ago, it is very shy in making winter leaves.
My plant almost never produces any, which is why it is hard for me to propagate that ceph.
Pitcher cuttings always fail.
I have another ceph that every pitcher cutting I've ever taken strike. Strange.

Steve, that's actually a cutting from the original that survived the browning heart thing.

This was the one you gave me a few years ago:

AF003201.jpg

The leaf in the background was the leaf salvaged, producing this plant:

IMG_0156.jpg

I have a few cephs from TC source. They're young and small and arent producing winter leaves either. If the conditions don't mimic winter, perhaps it doesnt produce the non carnivorous leaves.

I find different plants (even from the same clone & same conditions) can grow very differently. I've had some produce no leaves at all for over a year (pitchers only) and others that have more leaves than pitchers. Seems like a mood thing ... ???

Count yourself lucky! I have a clone which loves to make winter leaves, but les keen on the pitchers.

Count yourself lucky! I have a clone which loves to make winter leaves, but les keen on the pitchers.

That's a good one for your own private farm.

So it's consistently inconsistent. Sounds like a human trait to me!

Back