What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cephalotus 'Hummer's Giant'

JMatt, I'm even more confused now. The single pitcher you have in your hand has a large rib for sure, but the ones in the first post dont look as large as the one in your hand. They look like regular ceph photos I've seen. But the first post is of your hummers whole plant right? A simple google search , http://images.google.com.sg/images?hl=en&q=cephalotus&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi showed cephalotuses with ribs of similar sizes. They look similar to a google search for hummers http://images.google.com.sg/images?hl=en&q=cephalotus+hummer&gbv=2

Do you have a normal ceph? Maybe if I saw a photo containing the two.

The Hummers Giant plant that I traded here is only two years old from a cutting. Still very young. I have other plants of the same clone that are much older, five or six yrs maybe older? The older, more mature they are they produce pitchers that way. His plant in time will be just like that, very wide center rib as long as the plant is happy and growing well. I actually have a few different clones, One where the pitchers never seem to get any bigger than maybe 3/4 inch. I can try and gather up some different pictures if you want, but if you do a search under JMatt or cephalotus you might find many other photos I already posted.
The Hummers Giant clone is a very nice clone, but it is a slow grower and can take a long time to show it's true potential.
JMatt

JMatt, I'm even more confused now. The single pitcher you have in your hand has a large rib for sure, but the ones in the first post dont look as large as the one in your hand.
The wide mid-rib is also a trait I've noticed with my Cephs (which are HG clones). While there is obviously some variability from plant to plant and pitcher to pitcher, in general they are wider than most of the other clones in circulation. Although this is a decent indicator, it is not foolproof given the variability in plants. Like most VFT cultivars, if you do not know the genealogy of your plant, I would not label it as an HG. To see some variability, look over here at a pic from Barry's recent trip to Oz.

Here's a pic that I recently posted over on CPUK to show the step-function size increase in pitchers when they decide to change from baby pitcher to adult size. This plant was less than 6 mo from rooted cutting to adult pitchers. It also shows the wider-than-normal mid-rib.
CephaloneRS.jpg

Here's mine. I don't know if it has a wider than normal ala or not. You guys have betters eyes than mine :) The first set of pics look like a rather elongated oval shaped ala, while the rest look more triangular.

DSC02953.jpg

DSC02952.jpg

I like the second pic so much, it's my desktop :) It looks like there's a spider spelunking with a flashlight in one of the pitchers.

Glad to see it is doing well!
Looks quite happy.
JMatt

Is JustLikeAPill's a hummer or a regular? I seriously can't tell the difference =.= Mind if I post a photo of the one I have growing to ask for a comparison too?

Hummer. It's young, though, so the size is that of a regular Cephalotus. Keep in mind that any Cephalotus will be smaller (but much more colorful) when grown in high light.

We all LOVE pics and you don't need to ask permission!

Just wanted to uptade: A new pitcher opened a few days ago, it's green with splotches of purple, very nice looking. These growth points are exploding! I'm getting 2 new pitcher buds and 1 new leaf all from the same point at the same time! It's crazy! And they're all coming out dark purple too. Oh the excitment. Two out of 5 cuttings have already taken root and I can see a tiny green growth forming at the cuts. So far, none have rotted.

Just so everyone knows, well I don't know if it make a difference, but I've sorta been leaving the lights on 24/7 ever since I got it to get it moving quicker. Haven't noticed anything on my electric bill yet but I should probably go check again...

Last edited:
Okie dokie. Here are photos. They all look the same to me!

Australian Giant:

German Giant:

Typical:

I must say that they look nice and healthy. Just young.
Give them time, I'm sure they will turn out real nice. They all kind of look similar at a young age. I am really not familiar with those clones and how they look as mature plants.
Like the Hummers Giants, I have heard that those do get quite large also.
If you ever have cuttings maybe we can do a trade sometime.
JMatt

Just a quick update. Check the first page!

Does anyone know where to get cloning gel in the bay area?

Last edited:
Back