What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

how

how do you germinate sarracenia seedlings and how long does it take?

Why didn't you do a search? That's the real question. Laziness? I thought so.

I typed in "Germinating Sarracenia Seed" into google.com. It says it took .28 seconds to get the results. The FIRST result answers your question. It took you longer to type your post than it did me to find a website with detailed instructions. At the very least you could have asked something about a specific method instead of just "how".....I understand there's a first time for everything but you didn't even try.

Here........ http://www.carnivorousplants.org/seedbank/species/Sarracenia.htm

That was a bit harsh!

Good link above though.

Everybody has their own method. Some wrap in moist paper towel and pu in the fridge. Some apply fungicide and some do not. I place in centrifuge tubes of water, sealed, and in a cold environment - like the butter keeper or a bucket of cold water, in the attic. Do this for ~6 weeks and then attempt germination on moist media.

Why didn't you do a search? That's the real question. Laziness? I thought so.

I typed in "Germinating Sarracenia Seed" into google.com. It says it took .28 seconds to get the results. The FIRST result answers your question. It took you longer to type your post than it did me to find a website with detailed instructions. At the very least you could have asked something about a specific method instead of just "how".....I understand there's a first time for everything but you didn't even try.

Here........ http://www.carnivorousplants.org/seedbank/species/Sarracenia.htm

Should've been written as:

There are lots of info on the net about this topic, next time you can try searching for it. Sometimes it's hard to figure out the keywords for certain topics but "germinating sarracenia seed" sounds like a good start. Here, I ran a search out of the kindness of my heart, http://www.carnivorousplants.org/seedbank/species/Sarracenia.htm

I find that more and more, regular posters are starting to jump down people's throats for absolutely nothing. I'd watch the way we speak guys, we're not being very welcoming...something to think about...

I'm VERY welcoming. I love newbs! I just can't find an excuse to not run a simple search. There is a plethora of information on this topic, and variations of techniques, out there (and on here) to read. It's easy to rely on the wisdom of others without giving any effort at all into the pursuit of that wisdom.

Being a newb and being lazy are totally different things.

But honestly can you tell me that your reply didn't make the poster look like a complete fool in everyone's eyes? When in actuality, the person is just trying to learn by asking, questions, no matter how many times they've been asked, never hurt anyone.

There's no nice way for me to answer that question :-O Harsh or not, my reply was the truth and you can't tell me he wasn't being lazy and looking for a quick fix with no research involved. Why should anyone bother to search at all when we could just make a new thread? It's out of respect for everyone else on the forum. Even asking something a little extra like "any tips or tricks for my first time?" would have been fine, but a flat out "how"?

Look at it like this. Why ask a question if the SAME question has been asked 100 other times and all of the answers are the same? It's like asking "What's five times five?" Go the extra mile and elaborate on what you're doing or ask for personal experiences. That's rich discussion. Asking "how" is a bit empty.

The thing is that we who have joined the discussion forum come from widely different levels of experience with both the plants and computer. I, for one, basically knew how to kill VFT's and pitcher plants. My motivation for joining was to figure out genus and species name of the the non-committal "Lowes Cube OF Death" plants. What I learned in Savage Garden & CP's of the US & Canada was helpful, it didn't tell me what sundew or Nepenthes had. So I turned to the Internet and accidentally discovered the discussion forums. I never even knew discussion forums existed, much less for CP's. I registered but really didnt know what I was doing. Never heard of an avatar or SASE or PM or how to paste a URL to the address bar. Clint, you taught me that one. BCK, Snowy Falcon, and elarwhis taught me how to use the IB codes and hosting pictures and... I wouldn't have known to use the search function unless it was mentioned. We're just not all on the same page when we join.

Back