What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Now here is something you don't see very often!

JMatt

Stovepipe (The Beast) RIP My friend.
I can't take the credit for this one. A good friend of mine, (Charles Brewer) found this mutant growing in his collection. I thought it was pretty cool and with his permission I am sharing with you. The white you see on the plant is just a fungicide he applied to the plant.
JMatt

1000245co3.jpg

img0402ql5.jpg

img0401ny2.jpg

Cool, that's the first double trap pitcher I have ever seen on a ceph.

That is really cool!

xvart.

Oh my god...

Cephalotus "tea bag"?? or maybe "coin purse".. :devil:

VERY nice mutant!!
peace,
Zero

kewl.... it's the rare "dolly parton" cultivar

very nice pic, thats a keeper... thx for posting it Jeff :hail:

Cheers'
Butch

kewl.... it's the rare "dolly parton" cultivar

lol. Good one! :-)) Make sure your lights are on from nine to five...

xvart.

Brilliant!

Just for information, it's a deformity, not a mutation.

wow! Thats the first ever mutated pitcher I have ever seen. Perfect example of siamese twins. ;D

Vraev reading and taking in my last post very well there :poke:

Oh my... the first picture almost looks a little obscene like a green pair of... wait , no, I shouldn't say. There's kiddies on this forum...

your trying to tell me yours arent green? cuz mine.... wait... nevermind :)

You might want to get that checked out.. :alien:

aye if their green they arent clean xD
woa that rhymed.
nice pics btw, and it does look a bit.....odd xD

Vraev reading and taking in my last post very well there :poke:

huh! a developmental "mutation" in the stem cells that lead to the pitcher is what causes that "DEFORMITY".

True, but calling it a mutation infers stability. The chances of that plant producing double pitchers regularly as a result of a DNA mutation is very small.

but if it did produce double pitcher as seed, and it keeps seeding double pitcher, he could be rich ;D

well.....the limits of that mutation is what needs to be defined. That is a STABLE mutation. The deformed pitcher"s" did finish and for the most part has the fully defined characteristics: a lid, probably glands as well. Its just my guess, but I would assume that this kind of mutation might be caused during cell division of the proliferative stem cells at the growth point of the plant. This meaning... the daughter cell shows a deformation...but the original stem cell population has the orginial code making its next pitchers stay "regular"....basically commonly termed as "unstable mutant that reverts back".

If the mutation wasn't stable....you would have noticed tissue necrosis and abortion of pitcher development.

Nice! That's definitely interesting. On my own Cephalotus I've seen a double non-carnivorous leaf (looked like that but a non carnivorous leaf, it was cool but not that cool) but never a pitcher like that!

Jeff,

It's been a while since I visited this forum, hence the late reply. Thanks for sharing the picture! I guess that if you wait long enough (or have as many plants as Charles), something odd is bound to occur.

Alexis,

Just for information, it's a deformity, not a mutation.

That would be my assumption as well.

Vraev,

huh! a developmental "mutation" in the stem cells that lead to the pitcher is what causes that "DEFORMITY".

Not necessarily. Not all developmental deformities are caused by genetic mutations, in fact, many aren't. Many are caused by environmental factors that influence gene EXPRESSION which, in turn, influences how cells migrate.

If the mutation wasn't stable....you would have noticed tissue necrosis and abortion of pitcher development.

Why? A mutation doesn't necessarily cause cells to die, in fact (and thankfully), most don't. If a mutation were to cause a cell to die, it would probably result through the apoptotic pathway, not necrosis. In any case, it cannot be determined by gross inspection of tissue ("seeing" or "noticing" with the eye) whether cellular death was by necrosis or apoptosis--these are defined via histologic analysis.

GREAT PICTURES, JEFF! SEE YOU AT THE NEXT MEETING!

Back