What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pics of Sarrs in Natural Habitat!

I had some free time today and decided to post some pics of Sarracenia in their natural habitatsince many of you might not have had the chance to see them in this setting. These pics are from our trip this year to Florida and Alabama. We go at least once a year to see them and see how things are changing.

Pinguicula Planifolia and S. Psittacina
DSCN1340.jpg

S. Flava
DSCN1287.jpg

S. Flava
DSCN1284.jpg

S. Flava var. Ornata
DSCN12912.jpg

S. Moorei
DSCN1292.jpg

Field of Flavas
DSCN1279.jpg

Another Field of Flavas
DSCN1334.jpg

Clump of Flavas
DSCN1333.jpg

Nice S. Leuco
DSCN1261.jpg

More pics!

My wife in with mixed Flavas
DSCN13382.jpg

Field of mixed Flava Typical, Flava Ornata and Flava Rubricorpora
DSCN1345.jpg

Another section of the same field
DSCN1342.jpg

Sarracenia hybrid growing in with Alatas, Leucos and Rubra Wherryi
DSCN1301.jpg

Another hybrid growing with Alatas, Leucos and Rubra Wherryi
DSCN12732.jpg

Nice hybrid growing in the same area
DSCN1272.jpg

Another nice hybrid growing in the same area
DSCN1269.jpg

Another hybrid growing in the same area
DSCN1267.jpg

Nice dark S. Leuco
DSCN1243.jpg

Pretty possible Leuco hybrid
DSCN1268.jpg

I hope you enjoy the pics. Mother nature is pretty awesome!!

That's pretty cool. Looks like the flavas are thriving out there.

lucky, i would love to go see more CPs in their natural environment
i only ever saw some Sarracenia and some Pinguicula when i lived in Florida

Those plants are amazing. Wish more people would post pictures like this :D

agreed joel! looks like im comin to TN! :D

We go at least once a year to see them and see how things are changing.

And what observations do you have about how things are changing? Do you see an increase, decrease, or maintaining the status quo generally about the numbers of sarrs in the area? You've got some great pictures there. Although S. flava isn't my favorite Sarracenia I certainly love pictures of fields and clumps of them. Thanks for sharing.

xvart.

Well, as you probably know, this was an unusually dry year in the entire southeast. This year it was drier than usual but the pitcher plants still looked good and that was a little surprising. I don't know if you have heard about the Cook's Bayou site that Mike Howlett is working on. Me and Brooks Garcia went there (as I have in years past) and it was completely dozed. This place was about 5-10 acres and full of Flava Atropurpurea, Flava Typical, Flava Ornata, Psitts and Purps as well as Drosera. Very disappointing. Unbelievable actually. But for the most part, everything is pretty much staying the same for the 4 or 5 years that I have been going there. This is one thing that is happening more and more:

DSCN1289.jpg

I tried to get pitcher plants in the picture but didn't.

In keeping with the theme, some purp.purps. Sorry about the small size.

purp3.jpg

purp2.jpg

purp1.jpg

ca76951f.jpg

1bf18b18.jpg

did you find the P. plainifolia in FL?
I couldn't find them anywhere no matter how hard I looked, as well as any of the others

Yes, The pics are from FL. I found Planifolia in Miramar and Sandy Creek. Some were about 8-10" across and deep red, beautiful.

Wonderful pictures. Thanks for sharing!

Hey Wes, awesome photos. Thanks for sharing, it's great to see plants in their natural habitat.

How much for the lot I wonder? I work in real estate, but unfortunately don't work on deals on other states... MAN !!! - would be nice to buy up the lots to save the sarrs... (!) Anyone from NASC see this post yet -- PAK? Est?

Excellent!! nice photo!
thanks to your sharing. :-D

P. planifolia are everywhere in the panhandle of FL. If you're still in Tallahassee, they are only 40 mins away. I hope you were able to find them during the last 7 or so years.

Back