What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ceph root pic

elgecko

I've got a magic window!
I have several Ceph 'Hummer's Giant' pitcher cutting I started late last year.
They where big enough to pot up so I ended up doing that today.
Before I potted them all I decided to take a picture of the long roots the plant has for it's small size.

I've never tried root cutting before for cephs. Since some had very long roots I trimmed a few to see if I can get them to strike. Any one try root cutting before and what where your success with it?

ceph-roots.jpg

The tank with several of the repotted cephs.

ceph-tank.jpg

man! That ceph horde is insane. :D wow! look at that pot on the right. MAN!!

Thanks for the pic and the view of the setup!

funny... I thought that taking a ceph all bare root like that was the quickest way to ceph death since they are so fragile and all.

Guess not...

I've done root/rhizome cuttings before, success rate is directly proportional to root size. It takes about 4-6weeks for new vegative growth to appear, so be patient and dont give up on them.

plant horizontally for multiple small growth points and vertically for less but larger growth point/s

after cutting, I immediately soak them in a brew of trichoderma and superthrive (figure the superthrive couldnt hurt)

I then plant them in my normal ceph mix, at just below surface level

I've not done it alot but success rate was decent as long as the cutting had some size and maturity to it (1" or better)

HTH's
Av

Thanks for the comments.

CPsInAtl,
They do not seem that fragile for me. I've done it that way with other cuttings I made and have yet to lose one. You should see the way I use a dowel rod to jam the roots down the hole in the soil I make when potting them up.

Av8tor1,
Thanks for the info. I took about 3 or 4 - inch and a half to two inch cuttings of some of the roots to see what happens.

they need to be pretty mature as well (thick)... good luck and be patient, its a quick way to get a good sized adult ceph

Av

elgecko,

I was being a bit sarcastic ;). I just starting growing these plants as a gift from someone. they were fresh out of TC. I got it with a P. primulflora. The ping croaked... my cephs look fantastic.

So far, they are proving to be not as hard as everyone makes them out to be.

I once severed part of a Ceph plant that elgecko gave me, in the attempt to pull a "winter leaf". The severed shoot I placed in a tray of swampy, live LFS. It recovered and grew.... until the Nep pot gave way and crashed into the tray and a few other things.

Back