What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nectar on Sarr lips

Anybody noticed this? Some recently acquired S. purpurea lips are covered in it. Photos later when I get the tiempo...

It's called a peristome, and yes :)

All the time. There's even a nectar trail on the ala (the "keel" that runs along the "belly" of the pitcher). Take a peek at these S. rubra ssp alabamensis seedlings:

01890001.jpg

More is produced in humid conditions. The amount tends to wax and wane over the summer.

Stick your finger in it and taste - it's sweet!

My S. rubras are doing it too under artificial lights, just not nearly that much. The S. purpurea are dark red and drooling under fluorescents. Tough little guys...

More is produced in humid conditions. The amount tends to wax and wane over the summer.

Stick your finger in it and taste - it's sweet!

I just tried this with one of my nepenthes that has nectar on it and man... it sure is sweet!!

Mmmmm......nectar. Forget the syrup :)

wow now that's a ton of excess lol. All the energy the plants wasting to catch the food it better be a big meal. Maybe it was hoping you fell in?

drooling_homer.gif
-MMM... photosynthates.....

:-O

My Sarracenia occasionally get "sticky lips" and if you wet your finger and taste it it's mildly sweet but, holy crap! That's a TON of nectar! I can't believe it's possible to get that much. My small Nepenthes ventricosa makes excess like that in the summer but my Sarras never have, S. rubra and S. rubra hybrids seem to do it more prolifically than others in my experience.

Heh, joosa. Great addition.

xvart.

Back