What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heli Trimming

Just wondering, is it okay to trim away dead heli pitchers? They look ugly and they block out the light for the new pitchers... but I didn't want to do anything before asking since I know that they can be a bit picky. I'm still surprised that I've kept it alive this long. I'd rather not ruin it now.

Thanks.

I've always cut/pulled dead material without any problems. Go for it, but be gentle.

Before
Helibefore.jpg

After
Heliafter.jpg

Overhead
Helibirdseye.jpg

I was actually trying to get a pic of the big fly at the bottom of the pitcher but it focused on the hairs, still looks kinda neat though.

Also.. is it normal that the pitcher in this picture can't hold much water? I fill it with water and it slowly drains out. I don't know if there's a hole in it or if that's normal. I was under the impression that they were supposed to hold more water than this one is. It's a very new pitcher so I don't know how it could have gotten a hole already.

Maybe your plant isn't producing digestive enzymes.
The liquid is probably evaporating to quickly since the enzymes prevent it from drying up.
Or, if you water from above the water might get in the pitchers and dilute the enzymes.
Since it's a new pitcher, it'll need some time to make more enzymes.
Try giving it more humid enviroments.
Good Luck,
Adrian

if you find a way to mark the water level then fill it back up. youll notice it will always drop to the same level. there are small slits in the tubes that keep water from over flowing the pitcher.

and helis dont produce enzymes. they rely on bacterial decomposition like darlingtonia do.

Alex

The slits must go all the way to the bottom then, there's barely any water in it (as you can see.) I filled the pitcher with water less than an hour before taking that pic and it's already nearly empty.

I start at the ala and cut around in a circle. If you just cut it all at once you can split the pitcher.

Your plant could use quite a bit more light.

Yeah, I know. I don't have it very close to the lights because I don't want to overheat it. I'm thinking I'll start raising the "pot" up higher and just kinda keep an eye on it. The lights don't give off all that much heat but it could accumulate and I don't want that to happen.

Back