What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should I do something about this?

DSC08161.jpg

DSC08160.jpg

DSC08158.jpg

Last night I got a second opinion and was told it looks like star moss. So I removed it from all the plants. But these pics show you what I'm talking about. It's real tiny with hair like stems in the middle.

I fertilize twice a month with half strength fertilizer in the pitchers. Just fill 'em up.
I wonder if once a week with quarter strength would be better or not.

Gasp! If it aint broke dont touch it!! You dug out a healthy ceph @_@x
Everytime I dig out a ceph I lose it!!!

I've never lost a Ceph to repotting. I have dug out quite a few too. I find them to be quite the resilient little CP's.

I plant my Cephalotus on a small mound, that way the pitchers are above the moss.

1201554416.jpg

In an earlier topic, Plantakiss brought out that Cephs do well mounded, top-watered, and kept from having the center wet. Works for me!

In an earlier topic, Plantakiss brought out that Cephs do well mounded, top-watered, and kept from having the center wet. Works for me!

The plant above is planted in a glass bowl so my only option is to water from the top and it's growing really well.

Here's an update of my ceph getting overrun by the moss... It produced a really large non carnivorous leaf off late.

If you don't want to remove the moss, then just trim it with some scissors. Be careful not to cut the Ceph. I did this prior to repotting my Ceph, and it actually looked pretty nice, kind of like a well manicured lawn. I repotted my Ceph because my moss had an extensive root system and it clumped up the soil and inhibited aeration. I have other types of moss growing in my other Ceph pots and these don't seem as invasive as the type you see in my pictures. A major reason the moss in my pictures grew out of control was because I accidentally used miracle-gro peat which contains fertilizer. In my other pots, I used non-fertilized peat and I have not had issues with moss choking out the plant.

Similar to your plant, my plant began to put out a lot of non-carnivorous leaves when it had previously not put out any. I believe this may be due to the decreased light levels as the moss blocks out light (non-CP leaf growth started when the moss was rather tall). My other Cephs (I have like 5 different potted clumps) do not put out these non-CP leaves, and they are not covered in moss. Whether or not that is a direct correlation I am unsure, however once I repotted the plant and removed the moss I noticed the non-CP leaf growth stopped.

Good Luck... (perhaps you can even do a leaf pulling on that Ceph and make another :))

I would also take pullings of the winter leaves as backups.

Remember that a plant has leaves for a reason - to gather light which is eventually converted into energy for the plant - so personally I like leaving some non-carnivorous leaves on small Cephalotus.

Back