What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Family member :D my baby ceph

i think its a typical ceph.
either way, it just arrived. VERY nicely packed.
im so happy :D

Cephalotus004.jpg

looks great!

I've been trying to get one for months, where did you get yours?

haha, thanks.
i cant wait for it to get larger.....in a couple years xD

here it is with a quarter to show size....
its a baby :3
10 pitchers, 1 new one forming, 2 non carnivorous leaves.

NidiformisDentateCephalotus005.jpg

Very nice, Sir K. I'm glad to see you got it. :-D

I will admit, those are very strange looking plants. I prefer neps, but that ones still nice. ;-)

Congrats Sir K.

For a small ceph like that, I like to feed occasionally with a kind of Beta Fish food called BetaBioGold. They are very very tiny perfectly round little balls that drop right in to voung cephs and neps too.

Wild: they will probably feed on the gnats and mosquitos that so do love my terrarium

Nice plant so want to know where you got it

hmmmmm so it says polywer posted but i see no message. o_o;; try again?

NOW it shows up. ill PM it to you

Sir K, Congrats on the new addition to the fam!

thanks alot.
cant wait for it to get larger, planning on getting another light fixture to throw over my terrarium. hope they color up a bit as they mature.

thanks alot.
cant wait for it to get larger, planning on getting another light fixture to throw over my terrarium. hope they color up a bit as they mature.

Congratulations on your new family member :)

Why are you going to keep it in a terrarium? These plants come from Albany, AU, which is a temperate zone - http://www.bom.gov.au/weather/wa/albany/climate.shtml

I keep some of mine under growlights but I have always tried to avoid giving them too much humidity.

mobile, look under this link at Cephalotus 'Hummer's Giant'. Very interesting and informitive artical where John Hummer says he "started growing the rest inside a terrarium where I have maintained them ever since." According to the dates on the artical, that appears to be from 1986 - 2000. Looks like they can be grown quite successfully in a terrarium. Having said that, I don't think I would grow thim without pots in a terrarium, as drainage is critical to avoid root rot.
Tom

I know everyone has their own preferences; but which is it?

Terrarium or no terrarium for Cephs??

What say ye?

mobile, look under this link at Cephalotus 'Hummer's Giant'. Very interesting and informitive artical where John Hummer says he "started growing the rest inside a terrarium where I have maintained them ever since." According to the dates on the artical, that appears to be from 1986 - 2000. Looks like they can be grown quite successfully in a terrarium. Having said that, I don't think I would grow thim without pots in a terrarium, as drainage is critical to avoid root rot.
Tom
Thanks for the link, it is an article that I am aware of. The issue I have with terrariums is with humidity. If ventilation is adequate then this is not too much of an issue, however, if it gets too high then this can cause fungal issues with some species, such as those that don't come from a humid environment in their natural habitat.

I grow one of my Cephalotus planted directly in a glass bowl but this has a very large opening so humidity doesn't build up. However, this does mean that there is no drainage holes; the way to get around this is to put drainage material in the bottom - I use expanded clay pebbles. This plant grows very well, despite not having high humidity - a picture of it can be seen here: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111435&page=3

i dont use my terrarium like many other people do.
i set the pots in the terrarium which is just a 20gallon tank on its side.
i fill the tank up with a little bit of water once every few days
and let it fully evaporate and let the soil from the other pots try a little to avoid root rot and things getting water logged.

Back