What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracenia Rhizomes

Maxx

Someday is not a day of the week.
Here's a picture of two decent sized rhizomes that I got. Within two weeks they are already producing flowers, which are growing very fast!

Unidentified+Rhizomes-size.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yay! I just took one of mine out of the fridge and it's shooting up a flower as well! Got to love it!

Spring is still about a 2-3 weeks away here :( What kinda sarracenia are they?

They are both unidentified at the time but a I believe there is some leucophylla in the left one and possibly some flava in the right. I made a division on the right one before I planted them up and the division is making a flower as well.

Does the division you made have plenty of roots? If not, you may want to cut the flower off to reduce stress just in case.

They look beefy enough to me. Even small rhizomes don't get stressed by flowering, just the formation of seeds.

I think the small division had a good amount of strong roots. Like Alexis said, I've never really had any problems with small divisions flowering.

So should I cut all the dead pitchers and leaves off of mine. I have a couple that are that big.

If they're dead sure, cut them off. No problem.

OK I was not sure if they needed them to gain energy for the spring.

I am on the kick of "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" thing. I want the divisions to focus on repairing the tissue where it was divided rather than flowering.

Flowers still produce tissue for photosynthesis - a flower in no different from a pitcher in growth terms. It's the formation of seeds that require excess energy.

If you have a less than healthy plant, flowering just means you end up with two poor pitchers and a flower stem instead of three poor pitchers.

A flower also is made of fairly sturdy stuff and will photosynthesise for longer than the equivalent pitcher.

Here's the flowers which are now growing like weeds.

Unidentified+Flower+Buds.jpg

Very nice!

My Oreo is waking up and sending up flowers as well!

I took out 3 more this morning and planted them. The first one I did has a nice 10" tall flower spike now!

:banana2:

i have several stalks coming up. rubra. leuco and leuco red. they woke up early in the fridge and it is still freezing outside. they are potted up and under 1 CFL bulb(75watt equivilant i think...) the stalks so far are green. and i going to get green flowers? and will this have any negative effects on the flowering?

Alex

glider, i think your light is too low, they said my 100 watts equivalent is too low and i need 3x of what i have.

my last years leucophylla flowers were green and red and they showed no problems with flowering.

good. as the stalks get taller they are actually becoming redder and redder on mine. faint hints of red. i just dont want a green leuco or rubra flower that is supposed to be red! i may be doing some crosses this year too.

Alex

Back