What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

purpurea

I just got a sar. purpurea and the tops of the pithcers are dry and the bottom is still reddish green is this dormancy? and when will it start growing again????

When spring arrives!

Pitchers don't last forever and die off after a few months. They start with the top turning brown and dry.

should it be starring to come out of dormancy now? i live in so cal.

It will start growing soon.
purp pitchures last a long time, mine has been frozen most of the winter and the pitchures still look nice.

should it be starring to come out of dormancy now? i live in so cal.

Yes, mine is now awake and making a new pitcher. Make sure you give it lots of light.

I got me a purparea from lowes and I was too lazy to acclimate it so I gave it full sun and I repotted it and its leaves turned bright red.
some of its leaves withered but its now forming a new pitcher thats nice and red.

Mine has come out of dormancy as well. Did you say it was reddish green? It could be S.purpurea ssp. venosa, that's what I have. If it's green with red veining, then it is (if the pitcher is a reddish color with the lid being greenish with red veining, it's red form).

new update it is making pitchers but none opened it is S L O W !!!!!

yes, this is an extremely slow growing plant; most guides will tell you not to cut off the leaves unless absolutely necessary because new leaves are so slow to grow.

So...have patience! (Sucks, I know, but there it is)

Back