What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Growing outdoors in Rhode Island?

• Thread starter Mokele
  • Start date
  • Tags
    tap
As I mentioned in a different thread, I recently was accepted to the PhD program at Brown University, so this summer I'm going to be moving to Providence, RI.

So I figured I should ask if anyone has grown Sarrs (and VFTs) there? The climate seems pretty much identical to Cincinnati, so I don't anticipate any problems.

If so, has anyone tried using the tap water? The water dept claims it has only 50 ppm hardness.

Thanks,
Mokele

Hi Mokele -

You are in LUCK!! Providence is CP central here in the Northeast. That's where we have most of our NECPS meetings, a permanent CP display in the conservatories at the Botanical Center, and the big annual CP show in September. Then there's Jeff, the Cephmaster.... and multi CP award winner - you can learn a lot from him!

I'm not sure about the water where you will be at. John Phillip lives in Narragansett, RI and he uses the tap water. I'm in Connecticut and I use rainwater.

When do you think you'll arrive? We have a walk in July to see CPs in the wild at the Great Swamp in Kingston RI, and a ABSOLUTELY NOT TO MISS BBQ/Raffle in August just north of Deerfield Mass. PM me and I'll tell you why.

Oh yeah, the VFTS and Sarrs do well around here.

Bill

Ahh, excellent! I'll definitely join the society, once I get there. I'm going to be moving sometime in August, though I'm not sure precisely when yet, so I'll be around for the big show for sure. Anyhow, if I miss anything, I'll catch it again; I'll be there for 4 years minimum.

Thanks for replying, and I'll see you at the meetings, no doubt.

Mokele

Good luck with your move, and with college ! I havent tried tap water, since someone told me not to !

I am interested in the society also, need to go to the site and get the info !

Providence has a very soft water source and adds lime to boost the hardness. Otherwise, the water would corrode everyone's pipes. My CT water has similar hardness, without lime being added. If I'm away in the summer, my neighbor uses tap water for my plants, but I use dehumidifier water the rest of the summer. In the winter, I use tap water for my Nep. If I didn't have the dehumidifier water, I'm sure I'd just use tap water for everything. I used to avoid it, but I've gotten over that paranoia. It rains often enough to wash away any accumulated salt.

Back