What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does this matter about H.Pulchella?

• Thread starter JMurphy97
  • Start date
I'm looking at getting one of thses but there are these three different selections:

Chimanta Tepui, Venezuela
Amuri Tepui, Venezuela
Akopan Tepui, Venezuela

Now they look the same but I know they are from different parts but is there really a difference besides the price? This type looks nice by the way does anyone have it and is it a diva?

And also places said that it is same as h.minor? Is this true?

H. Pulchella is very cool!
I have had the Akopan form for a few years and it is really starting to look nice.
The first picture is Pulchella Akopan, just recently divided into four plants. Two are not in picture. The others I just got last summer. They are nice too, just younger. They are all starting to color up pretty good.
I think H. Pulchella is well worth getting.
JMatt

dsc01572ry6.jpg

dsc01573li7.jpg

dsc01574ln6.jpg

There might be differences in the course hairs in the pitchers from location to location.
Some might have more or less of it. I think it's much better looking than regular H. minor.
JMatt

wow! fantastic plants Jmatt! :D

Those are nice. The ones on the web site though are much darker, they look almost black. Is this something that comes with age?

The colour is relative to light intensity. Assuming you are looking at the page I think you are looking at what you are seeing is plants that are pictured in the wild at the tops of the tepuis where sunlight is very high intensity.

This species is distinct form H. minor though at one time it was considered to be just a form of H. minor.

Yeah that is a dirty prank they pull on you. I kinda figured that too. But I also read that plants like neps get darker or more colorful as they get older.

Jeff, the one I got from you is starting to produce mature pitchers.. :)

pulchella.jpg

Av

I don't think I've ever seen more light-craving plants than Heliamphora. Temperature also plays a big role in coloration, IME.

It was called Minor "Hairy" when I bought mine several years ago. My H. Pulchella pitchers colored up real good after about 5-6 months, 9 inches from 2 florescent tubes.

I believe you should get the Amuri Tepui variety because it is less common.
I have the Akopan kind.

Back